2171 replies to this topic

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Right idea but wrong climate. Trout like cold water and cool summer weather.

What's going on here is very common in this part of the world. Some operations are quite large, as shown here.

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.jpg   67.02KB   26 downloads

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Roughly 100,000 acres are devoted to this kind of farming in the United States, down somewhat from peak production about a decade ago. High feed costs and competition from inexpensive imports are squeezing many farmers.

This scene is from a county where there are still more than 20,000 acres impounded for these farms.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4.jpg   107.74KB   25 downloads

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

What's grown here has whiskers.

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

The impoundments are lined with local red clay and usually filled with water pumped up from shallow aquifers. River deltas provide good conditions, geologically.

If the shallow aquifers run dry, farmers may try using water from ancient deep aquifers. But that water is often too salty for this crop, in which case the farmers may try raising shrimp or crabs instead.

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

I'm guessing some member of the carp or catfish family.

Cheers,

Kathi

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Ok, I haven't found the exact location of your first two screenshots, but the third is from just north of the town of Lonoke, Lonoke County, Arkansas, USA. Your pictures are from bingmaps. And they do farm catfish there.

Cheers,

Kathi

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Catfish, absolutely. The catfish farming belt swings southeastward from the Lonoke, Arkansas, area, across Mississippi and into west Alabama. The wide-area screenshot actually is from Humphreys County, Mississippi, near the town of Iola, in what is pretty much the buckle of the catfish belt. The closeups of farm ponds are from Hale County, Alabama.

But the only reason I didn't show the scene around Lonoke is that I wasn't aware of what those aerials look like: that part of Arkansas is absolutely archetypal catfish country.

You're on now....

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Isola, not Iola.

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Switzerland

Right on, another take on the Easter Egg Dye National Strategic Reserve, but from a different nation...

(Someone better solve this today, or else you'll have to wait until wednesday next week for my next clue: Because of the Swiss National Holiday on Aug. 1st I'll be in the mountains and offline for a while...)

Attached Files

Cheers,

Kathi

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Switzerland

They're not farming anything here, but I guess you could call it gardening. At least they're harvesting a special kind of flowers...

Cheers,

Kathi

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hmmm... Cranberries? I've seen some bit on tv about how those are farmed in big ponds (either that or I'm confusing a whole lot of other things...)

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Switzerland

No, not cranberries, in fact no crop that grows as a plant. But in the language spoken in this area the stuff harvested here is called "Flowers".

Cheers,

Kathi

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Switzerland

The "Flowers" are very longlasting if kept in the right conditions. And the "gardening" has a long tradition here, too.

Attached Files

Cheers,

Kathi

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Switzerland

Seems like I cannot access my screenshots from my iPad, so this last clue for now is only text:

There's a medieval town near these ponds, but the "gardening" here has already been practised by the old Romans. And the flowers grown here serve a culinary purpose.

Right then, whish you a good weekend, I'll be back next Wednesday...
Cheers,

Kathi

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Switzerland

No guesses yet?

Here's a picture of the "gardens" with the medieval town including its modern outscirts to the North. The medieval town is surrounded by an impressive wall.

Attached Files

Cheers,

Kathi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->