• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello all,

I was wondering the best way to create a lake polygon in ArcMap using a 5m DEM. In my area, they have recently converted 2 small lakes/dams into one large one. The updated data layers are not yet available from the public domain so I was going to generate it myself. I know the current lake's elevation and the dam/damn's location.

I've tried reclassing the raster to the lake's elevation, but that wasn't too successful because the elevation value continued into other drainage basins.

Thanks,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Quick and dirty: Use a new feature dataset to create a polygon which bounds the real lake. Then cut the reclassified raster using the polygon (Spatial Analyst (?) => Extract by Mask) and patch it into the original DEM.

There's probably a better solution, but that's what jumps to my mind.

Cheers,
Crischan
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->