Becky

Becky

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Lots...
  • Canada

Hi,

This is my first posting, and i am looking for some constructive criticism.
The map shows the different land uses throughout the county, as well it focuses on the land uses in each hamlet within the county. The map is mainly for internal use for our planning department, upon request it is also used externally.
Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

The map is in pdf format, and is 1,882 KB.

http://www.county.le...Use_Feb2009.pdf

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I like the overall layout and the colors.

Some minor things to consider:
Maybe make the divisions for the miles scale bar match the kilometers - i.e. 2.5, 5, 10 - or maybe better, keep the division values you have, but add one more division so it goes to 10 (these don't go to 11 ;) )
Maybe use rectangles that match the actual inset shape/extent rather than ellipses to highlight the insets on the main map - if you do that you might also want to use a stronger line symbol for the rectangles to make them stand out better
It looks odd that the City of Lethbridge is just this white space like other empty areas in and outside the map extent - maybe you could include the main roads that are currently shown just chopped off and some sort of fill to show that the area isn't empty; similar comment about some sort of "urban" fill for other towns current'y just shown as white space

As I said, minor stuff, others might disagree with my comments. Overall a very nice map. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Donald Milne

Donald Milne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (of course), traffic engineering, comics, history, roadtrip travel.
  • United States

I agree that it looks odd that the City of Lethbridge is just white space like the outlying agricultural area. My suggestion would be to add a color for the agricultural area, so it is obviously part of the analysis. Then add a note stating the Lethbridge area is not included in the classifications. Otherwise a nice, clean map.

- Donald Dale Milne,
Milne Enterprises

Becky

Becky

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Lots...
  • Canada

Thanks for the comments, they were very useful. :)

The website has been updated with a newer version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->