• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Link to the map

Amazing to see how fast it can spread, especially since I'm due to travel to North America in a month from now... Then again... there's reports in Europe already, including Northern France, that's only a few hours driving from here.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

That's pretty cool, but also just a bit frightening, considering I'm flying to Barcelona in 2 weeks. I didn't realize Spain has already become so infected. I was trying to find the link to the CNN swine flu timeline map that I had found earlier in the week. It was interesting to watch how quickly the virus was spreading.

But, let's all remember that the regular flu kills many, many thousands of people each year. So we shouldn't let the media (or WHO) hype about this one new strain paralyze us. There are multiple new strains every year. Take caution, but continue to enjoy the wonderful lives we have.

Have a great trip out this way, Hans.

Heath

MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Somewhat disturbing

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

And I live close to four reported cases, better stay inside. :(
"Abbas of novus versus"

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

Here is the link to the CNN timeline map that I mentioned, only it was on the BBC, not CNN. Sometimes I get confused...

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8021547.stm

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Friday Indiana confirmed its 3rd case of H1N1 swine flu and, of course, one was a child at my kids school. Result: immediate school closure for next 10 days - minimum (actually in 2 Indianapolis schools). While this strain of flu may not be any more serious than the typical human strains, school closures are an attempt to "buy time" by slowing the transmission rate (student-to-student and student-to-parents, parents-to-work, etc) and thus not over whelm the health care system and time to make/distribute more vaccine. So, is this an over-reaction? I'm not thrilled about the school closure, but it shows a few things are being done right. First, it is intended to slow (not necessarily stop) transmission through the community of a flu that is very rapidly spreading and may be mutating rapidly as well. It demonstrates good multi-agency communication and emergency preparedness being put into action. Over the last few years, communities across the US have been preparing for something like this, and on Friday the response here was quick, decisive, and panic-free. From that perspective I'm quite pleased to see things working.

So, be prepared that many more school closings will likely take place. CDC recommends closings on first confirmed case or more than 2 suspected cases. Looking at the map and rate of spread you can see how likely more school/day care/day camp/etc closings are to happen. Prevention means washing hands and avoiding sick people. Family preparedness means figuring out what you'll do for child-care/time off work if necessary.
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->