Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hey fellow mappers,

Here is a 3D pictorial map I just finished for our client Royal Botanical Gardens in Canada. They needed an overall map illustration showing their property, which is spread out over a large region between Burlington and Hamilton, Ontario. The final product will be used as a 4x7 foot sign with text and symbols for display in front of the general public, so the artwork had to be large enough to depict detail of the various garden and visitor areas as well as hiking trails when enlarged. The client decided they wanted the richer "raster" style that I produce, rather than my other Illustrator/Corel Draw "vector" style. Therefore, the work was rendered in Photoshop CS3 at almost 42" wide x 24" high at 300 dpi, utilizing many layers. The final psd file was something like 850mb. A mammoth! Oh, plus they needed the project completed in less than a month! And the only overall reference I had to work with was the Google Earth screen shot below as well as a slew of ground reference photos. Once the illustration was finished I then flattened it, converted to CMYK, and placed it in InDesign CS3. I then applied all of the text and symbol work. A close up from that InDesign file is below. Those labels really started to clutter up the image but the client was great in keeping the labels to a minimum. I would have chosen a different font besides Arial, but that's what they desired. The job was very challenging to say the least, but in the end the client absolutely loved it! And that's all we need to hear!

I apologize for the low quality in these JPEGs because of limitations here for uploading, but I can assure you the rendering is highly detailed.

Here also is a link to our company portfolio with the whole entire illustration in Zoomify. http://www.mapformat...urism/rbg3D.htm

Attached File  RBG_Overall_ref.jpg   137.98KB   138 downloads

Attached File  RBG_Property.jpg   439.18KB   136 downloads

Attached File  RBG_Up_Close_with_text.jpg   171.44KB   170 downloads

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Absolutely beautiful Michael...
Congratulations!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Absolutely beautiful Michael...
Congratulations!

Thank you J-L! There's more maps to come. I've never been busier.
Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Cool map and nice touch with the reflection in the water!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Cool map and nice touch with the reflection in the water!

Hah, good eye! I'm glad you caught that! Thanks Dave. That was a bit of cloning, transparency, masking, and motion blur filtering. It's taking the time to add those little details that really raise the illustration up to a higher level. And although you cannot see it in these representations, if you zoom in on the grass areas I used a special grass blade brush that splashes multiple colors on a grassy field or marsh area. I combined that with a leaf brush too to get those wild, overgrown areas. If you're interested I could send you a cropped hi-res JPEG. Just email me.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

And although you cannot see it in these representations, if you zoom in on the grass areas I used a special grass blade brush that splashes multiple colors on a grassy field or marsh area. I combined that with a leaf brush too to get those wild, overgrown areas. If you're interested I could send you a cropped hi-res JPEG. Just email me.

I think anyone would be interested... :)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Well done. These type of illustrations always blow me away. Very inspiring.

Tuan Pham Anh

Tuan Pham Anh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:GIS, 3D, Linux, GPS, Embedded ARM, AVR, Java, Web, DB, Blues Guitar, CS1.6...
  • Vietnam

Perfect ! i love your trees in this map as well as in your SUNY Canton map. You are so skillful.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

And although you cannot see it in these representations, if you zoom in on the grass areas I used a special grass blade brush that splashes multiple colors on a grassy field or marsh area. I combined that with a leaf brush too to get those wild, overgrown areas. If you're interested I could send you a cropped hi-res JPEG. Just email me.

Yes, please. Could you post it in this thread so anyone who is interested can see? :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Yes, please. Could you post it in this thread so anyone who is interested can see? :)

Sure. Here is the link to go to http://www.mapformat...urism/rbg3D.htm
Right above the main image is a smaller link to "Download PDF" Click there and you will automatically download a cropped version of the final map with labels on it. That PDF is 10mb in hi-res to give you a better sense of the artwork.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->