• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

A couple of things to watch:

http://mapdiva.com/index.htm

http://indiemapper.com/

Both look interesting. Options are good.

mir

mir

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Panama

Is Mapublisher the only game in town for importing GIS data into Illustrator? It's a little pricey for my limited needs but I don't know of any other plug-in to Illustrator that can do the same thing with fewer bells & whistles. Any suggestions for me?

I am a big fan of open source software. I use Linux almost exlcusively, so I wanted to find an alternative myself to Illustrator. I use Inkscape, which is very easy to use and can do many similar things that Illustrator can do. You can get it for windows too.

When you export a GIS map, save it as SVG and you can import to Inkscape...I do it all the time.

I use qGIS for putting together all the geographic data, georeferencing and so on. When I'm done with the cartographic work I export layers separately to PDF files which I then open with Inkscape, copying and pasting "in place" each layer in a separate Inkscape layer and everything turns out perfectly aligned, including rasters. Then I do all the design and labelling. Not extremely fancy, but totally free, and SVG files can be easily edited with a text editor if you need to fiddle around with symbols and such.

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the plug, Tanya. Ortelius map illustration software is currently under development for Mac OS X. Our focus is presentation-quality graphics, ease-of-use, and affordability. Attributes are retained (and can be created) at the object level, so advanced object selection, symbolization based on attributes, and attribute labeling are all supported. We are getting very close now to the initial release of Ortelius Standard edition ($79), which will be followed by a Professional edition ($349) that enables more geospatial capabilities. We are working diligently to get this first release available as quickly as possible.

By the way, Arader Gallery of New York City provided us a graphic and wonderful history of the portrait of Ortelius by Adriaen Thomaszoon Key - it is the only known representation of the famous geographer done during his lifetime. We've posted it at Ortelius Portrait

Jill
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I hope you'll come and demo Ortelius at NACIS this fall. I'm sure we can find you a place as part of the program in some capacity.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

I hope you'll come and demo Ortelius at NACIS this fall. I'm sure we can find you a place as part of the program in some capacity.

Hi Dennis,
I've spoken with Nick Springer and am planning to do a presentation for Practical Cartography Day. I'm very much looking forward to meeting more NACIS members and sharing ideas!
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->