araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Hi all. I am using AI10 on a Win2K machine. I am being tasked with using an Autocad '05 drawing and trying to graphically make it look more "artsy". Basically I am using a pdf exported from Autocad and trying to blowup certain sections of this map with callout boxes. I need to blow up hydraulic reference points along this street, so people can make out the elevations. I'm 99% sure that Autocad's viewport function will work for me, but I need to make leadder lines to the callouts, that are kinda like gradients. In ArcView, I can kinda do this, but this it's not exactly the effect I want.

I will upload an example of what I need. This map (it looks like) was done in ArcView, however, I think it had to have been touched up in Illustrator, because the leader lines are gradient lines, and I am pretty sure you cant make gradient lines as a drop shadow of your dataframe.

So I figured I'd go to Illustrator to try and do this one.
Any help would be appreciated.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

The PDF in the Zip file didn't work for me. Can you upload the PDF directly or a JPG?

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • United States

The PDF in the Zip file didn't work for me.  Can you upload the PDF directly or a JPG?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry man. Here is the jpeg version. The effect I would like to have is the leader line that fades to the callout box. I am 99% sure you can't do that in AutoCad Map or ArcView GIS.
So I think I'm going to have to get better than average on my Illustrator skills.
I think I'm at my limit for attachments. Maybe I could email you directly?
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • United States

The PDF in the Zip file didn't work for me.  Can you upload the PDF directly or a JPG?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry man. Here is the jpeg version. The effect I would like to have is the leader line that fades to the callout box. I am 99% sure you can't do that in AutoCad Map or ArcView GIS.
So I think I'm going to have to get better than average on my Illustrator skills.
I think I'm at my limit for attachments. Maybe I could email you directly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just cleared my attachments. I just uploaded the jpeg

Attached Files

Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Assuming you have access to Photoshop, here's a quick and dirty without much learning curve.....

If you are more comfortable working in Arc, I'd suggest you put everything together in that program, export a 300 dpi raster to photoshop, and then add that one effect to the inset in PS. All other smybolization in your supplied graphic looks like it can be done in Arc.

In PS:

-make a new layer
-use the pen tool (keyboard P) to draw a polygon that represents your arrow
-select the path with the selection tool (keyboard A)
-right click and select "make selection"
-use the gradient tool to fill the selection.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->