Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Tuan,

You do very nice work for a self-taught beginner. You're work shows you've grasped the skills to immediately propel you to a more advanced stage and that's what you should be selling yourself as! Your great work will sell itself. Get more of out there in front of potential clients and you'll do fine.

I'm curious as to the software you are using. I know you mentioned SketchUp but what do you use for the other 3D software? Photoshop? Something else? I ask because your work looks similar to this NYC map at http://www.youcity.c...ont/index.html#
I just learned today from another contributor here on CartoTalk that this HUGE map of Manhattan was rendered by a slew of designers from China. And they are using 3D Max software like the special effects studios use in the movie industry. There's also another map out there too of Hong Kong looking exactly the same. Probably from the same company. Are you using this software too? And does it enable you to turn your map in 360 degrees or does it just give you a static one angle view?

Best Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Tuan Pham Anh

Tuan Pham Anh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:GIS, 3D, Linux, GPS, Embedded ARM, AVR, Java, Web, DB, Blues Guitar, CS1.6...
  • Vietnam

Tuan,

You do very nice work for a self-taught beginner. You're work shows you've grasped the skills to immediately propel you to a more advanced stage and that's what you should be selling yourself as! Your great work will sell itself. Get more of out there in front of potential clients and you'll do fine.

I'm curious as to the software you are using. I know you mentioned SketchUp but what do you use for the other 3D software? Photoshop? Something else? I ask because your work looks similar to this NYC map at http://www.youcity.c...ont/index.html#
I just learned today from another contributor here on CartoTalk that this HUGE map of Manhattan was rendered by a slew of designers from China. And they are using 3D Max software like the special effects studios use in the movie industry. There's also another map out there too of Hong Kong looking exactly the same. Probably from the same company. Are you using this software too? And does it enable you to turn your map in 360 degrees or does it just give you a static one angle view?

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, Thanks for your comment.

I spent sometime with the youcity.com map. It is so professional, i believe that they are using the same technology with the Hong Kong map. I love to build a website like that for my city.

IMO, I think they use 3ds max and photopshop too. I wondering how they manage the buildings/scences for a large covered map.
I think it is impossible to put entire city in one 3ds max file. They must have some technologies.

The youcity provides 3 different type of map:

Posted Image

Do you think that their work flow as following?
- Render the base map
- Render the every single building
- Place the buildings / trees in Photoshop

Notice these pictures:

Posted Image
I see that the tree-layer is on top of the building

Posted Image
And the reflection is not right.

There are so many things to learn from their map.
My map is different because I use models for everything. So I need to place the labels only after rendering the map. It has advantages/disadvantages. However I prefer this way because when I render an animation or different camera view, I need no extra work.

Posted Image

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Tuan, very thorough reply you gave breaking the map down on how it's constructed. Can I ask you if you know how many designers/illustrators worked on that map and how long it took. I've got to assume it took an army of personnel to create this. Would you know how much a typical designer/illustrator made as a wage on this. If you could somehow break down that wage into US dollars per hour. I want to get a feel for how low the labor cost is in China on something of this nature.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Tuan Pham Anh

Tuan Pham Anh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:GIS, 3D, Linux, GPS, Embedded ARM, AVR, Java, Web, DB, Blues Guitar, CS1.6...
  • Vietnam

Tuan, very thorough reply you gave breaking the map down on how it's constructed. Can I ask you if you know how many designers/illustrators worked on that map and how long it took. I've got to assume it took an army of personnel to create this. Would you know how much a typical designer/illustrator made as a wage on this. If you could somehow break down that wage into US dollars per hour. I want to get a feel for how low the labor cost is in China on something of this nature.

Michael

I have no information about how many USD/hour they pay. However I got something else for you to reference, for illustrator work, they would pay lower than US $10 for a scene like this:

Posted Image

MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Very impressive! I'm jealous of people with 3d skills. I've tried and failed many times at doing something like this

Hattie

Hattie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • China

It's really nice work!!!!

I am now making a school map for my university, and I also hope to have 3d buildings on it. Your work impressed me a lot!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I'm sure someone will hire you a to do 3D Model some day.

Can you say Hollywood!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Eok N.

Eok N.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Very impressive. I think this might the next step in my own training.

EnmsMapper

EnmsMapper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

This is my first post for my new map of a small city, still working on it

Very inspiring Tuan, I too am interested in 3D images as a hobby.
Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:GIS Software Engineer<br />Navigation Map/GIS/GPS
  • China

very impressive.
hard work.
GIS Programmer

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:GIS Software Engineer<br />Navigation Map/GIS/GPS
  • China

Michael

hi Michael,
i'm in china now. you could take a look at a chinese 3D website(www.edushi.com).
if u want to construct all administrative area of china,maybe you need hundreds of people and at least two years.
as far as i know,a basic cartographer,usually 1.5k~4k YUAN per month.a Programmer,usually 3~8k YUAN per month.
GIS Programmer

kavabanga

kavabanga

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Slovenia

Excellent work. Quite inspiring.
I have one question. How do you create textures of your models look so alike the photographed building? Do you capture textures from photos?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->