penumbra123

penumbra123

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi All,

Thanks to this forum, I'm certainly closer to my ArcGIS goal. In another thread, I was guided to batchgeocode.com to geocode some unmatchable addresses in ArcGIS 9.2. I mapped those addresses with XY coordinates, and made a layer out it. Done.

Now here is the challenge, at least for me. These addresses are mapped onto an Oregon basemap, with an overlay of all the legislative districts (shape file). My goal is to assign all the address points to a legislative district. For the mappable addresses, I used the Overlay/Intersect function and added the two features (in this case, the mapped addresses and the legislative districts, and the resulting table contained both sets of information).

However, the method didn't work with addresses that were mapped based on XY coordinates. Here is the error message I received:

ERROR 000953: Extent of the overlay operation will be empty.
WARNING 000117: Warning empty output generated.
Failed to execute (Intersect).

What did I do wrong? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Frank

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Hi Frank,

I believe you are looking for the spatial join tool. That will transfer attributes from one layer to another. The thing I can't remember is if it is available at only the ArcInfo license, or all of them.

In terms of your error. First check that both your layers use the same projection/coordinate system.

Cheers,
David

Keith Map Service

Keith Map Service

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Geography, mapping, GIS, Fishing, Outdoors, Mountain Biking
  • United States

dsl is correct. Look for the Spatial Join command in the ArcToolbox. It is available in the ArcView Licencse. The spatial join will attach the attributes from one layer to another based on location.
Keith Map Service, Inc.
http://keithmaps.com

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

penumbra123 could use the Identity tool also right?

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

penumbra123 could use the Identity tool also right?

Could, but that would be time consuming, personally speaking. If you want to do it in Editing mode, then the Attribute Transfer Tool would probably work best.

penumbra123

penumbra123

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi All,

Thank You for all the inputs! I also tried using spatial join, but I think I may know what's going on.

When I tried to "add layer" the batchgeocode addresses (with XY coordinates) I get the Geographic Coordinate Systems Warning because it appears the batchgeocode address are in GCS_North American_1983 and the base map in something else (I extracted the base map from ESRI's DVDs)

So when I tried "spatial join" it told me the batchgeocode addresses need to have the projections defined, but I am clueless on what to do next? It appears the join functions aren't working because of the different coordinate systems within my map. How do I make the systems uniform?

Thank You!!!

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->