• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello All,

I'm getting ready to submit this map to my client. Always like to run them through Cartotalk before I do, especially when I am dealing with a language I don't speak. Suffice it to say if you are viewing this map then you are reading an Egyptology Journal article about 4 archaeological burial sites. Other then that I hope it is self explanatory. Let me know if you see any errors or omissions.

This map was produced strictly in Illustrator.

Thanks for your feedback,

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The one thing that struck me as odd right away is the delta. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's more than just those 2 branches in there...

Other than that, I think it's a great map. Maybe the text placement can be tightened up a bit here and there, but that's just me being nitpicky.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Looks good - Its a simplified map suited for its purpose, which maybe is why the Delta is simplified as well.
A few ideas: Place the Med Sea and others on a curved line, and background placenames are 20-30% black, but could be a bit darker and still be distinct enough from main sites, imho.
Last point - graticules?

Otherwise, great job!

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Excellent map, especially for the context. Only picky items were consistency in fonts (specifically the water) between the inset and the map. Really a very minor thing. Love the subdued grayscale for colors.
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello All,

Thanks for the comments. I did simplify the delta, and stuck with the minimum that the client requested. May revisit and add more tomorrow. Originally I had Alexandria in between the two and didn't want to mess with line breaks.

Graticules are there, I just have that layer turned off. Decided to go with just the inset instead. Not sure if my client refers to lat/lon with her site descriptions. If so they will definitely get turned back on.

DMoore I'm not sure what you mean with consistency of fonts. Is it the justification? Colors are practically the same, only thing is the inset is a little lighter overall because it was too dark when I used the same colors that I had on my basemap.

Thanks for your input.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

DMoore I'm not sure what you mean with consistency of fonts. Is it the justification? Colors are practically the same, only thing is the inset is a little lighter overall because it was too dark when I used the same colors that I had on my basemap.

KRU,

Sorry, missed a phrase there. It should have read "consistency of fonts between inset and the main map." I'm seeing the font for the water bodies with different labeling schemes on the inset and the main map (i.e. mixed case to all caps). Again this is a really finicky difference that I have had a client ask me to fix. I don't think it's a detracting issue and wouldn't think it's something most people would be concerned with.

D
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • United States

Thanks for clarifying. That is a size issue, currently the text is 5 pt and I can't really go smaller. All caps won't fit. I could always type on a path like mapmedia suggested, but I generally try to stay away from that except with linear features.

Thanks for the input,
kru
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->