Photo

historical boundaries for Northern Ireland?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

Does anyone know of a source for historical county boundaries for Northern Ireland, or a UK historical admin boundary source? I tried "A Vision of Britain through Time," Great Britain Historical GIS, & OS OpenSpace but find no downloadable spatial administrative products there or linked through there. I must be missing an obvious source?

margaret

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Does anyone know of a source for historical county boundaries for Northern Ireland, or a UK historical admin boundary source? I tried "A Vision of Britain through Time," Great Britain Historical GIS, & OS OpenSpace but find no downloadable spatial administrative products there or linked through there. I must be missing an obvious source?

I think free historical vector mapping for Ulster might be difficult to find. There is a rather beautiful and detailed raster map dating from 1790 that shows the counties of Ireland, it's in Google Earth under Layers -> Gallery -> Rumsey Historical Maps. Tick the box and zoom in on Ireland. It overlays quite well on GE, so it might be possible to trace the county borders as polylines or polygons, save them as KML and convert them to shape files.

Just a thought..

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

margaret

The Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland is now part of Land & Property Services, so it might be worth check with them. They have a section on their website regarding 'Historical Maps' and a PDF guide you can download. Looks like you can download data via the GeoHub, though I don't expect it will be free. :unsure:

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did look at Geohub options but am finding it an awkward viewer. That's also a good idea about using the Rumsey collection in Google Earth-- will add that to the morning's experiments and then follow up to the thread.

margaret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->