• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Whats your method for getting the file size of PDF's as small as possible out of Illustrator? Most of my products need to be emailed around for various reason so getting them as small as possible is crucial

First off, I simplify lines and polygons in Arc or Illustrator, whichs shaves off anywhere from a 100 KB to a MB or so.

Out of CS3, I've been unchecking "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabitilities", "Embed Page Thumbnails", and "Create Acrobat Layers from Top-Level Layers", and checking "Optimize for Fast Web View"... or just use the "Smallest File Size" Adobe PDF Preset.

That brings the file size down considerably from the AI and a regular PDF file... but I've also been able to shave a few more hundred KB's, and up to a a few MB's on some file depending on whats in them, after I go into Adobe Acrobate and either save as "optimized" or go to "reduce file size" under the "Document" drop down menu.

Anything else I can do, without converting it to a raster image?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Have you tried: Document Menu> Examine Document> This will allow you to delete hidden page content along with other types of information. Not sure this going to help you coming out of Illustrator, but it's worth looking at.

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Have you tried: Document Menu> Examine Document> This will allow you to delete hidden page content along with other types of information. Not sure this going to help you coming out of Illustrator, but it's worth looking at.

It did reduce it a little bit. One document I took off about 60KB, although that was after I did went through "Examine Document" and then "Reduce File Size" again.

On another file, it knocked off 200KB (more than 20%), and then I did "Reduce File Size" again, and it added 100KB...

?? lol

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

You have covered all the steps I usually take to minimize PDF file sizes. I have also found it beneficial (using AcrobatPro) to enter Print Production--->PDF Optimizer. In AcrobatPro7 it's in the Tools drop-down and in version 8 it's in the Advanced drop-down.

You can further tweak settings for more optimal results.

Attached File  Picture_133.png   85.07KB   45 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

The best method I have found that will usually dramatically reduce PDF file size is to save the file as an eps and then drop it through Distiller. Additionally one of the items that will make a huge difference is to remove any transparency. If there is ANY transparency in the file it will bloat the file tremendously. Similarly if you can ignore overprinting it will reduce the complexity.
Rick Dey

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Don't know if you have the option, but that can be done quickly in Photoshop. That where I do all of my raster work.

Have you checked your raster effects settings in Illustrator? I think that it is Effects, Document Raster Effects, and then make sure it is set to 72dpi.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

M.Denil

M.Denil

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Flatten all your raster layers into one single raster below all other layers.
This finalizes transparent layers, so the graphics program is not modifying the image to display it, and the pdf generator is not trying to write a pdf that reproduces it.
Remember too that a small image (say, in the legend or for the map cover panel) will be handled by the software as a small opaque bit on a transparent layer. Thus, any discontinuous image, any image that does not go from one edge of the inked area to all the others will have at least some bit of it as transparent once it is rendered for printing.

M. Denil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->