8 replies to this topic

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Yeah, as you might guess from the title, I'm a geographically confused Australian somewhere in China. I keep trying to ask where I am but the locals just throw sticks at me. I had a map to find my way home but it was etched with bone on dried panda skin and unfortunately the ants got to it.

I WAS an water planner/GIS operator in a cushy government job in aussie, but quit in one of those moments of frustration that only mindless bureacracy and incessant micro-managemant can create. Currently teaching english to apathetic and virtually comotose university students (actually, a great bunch of kids- i just had a bad day) but have been trying to sus out the GIS options in China (particularly in enviro management) but hampered by the paranoia towards foreigners (laowei)... ie- its considered a politically sensitive area.

I also work freelance as a newspaper and magazine cartoonist and have been doing some cartoony tourist maps for a company back home and am now considering further merging my so-called skills.

Anyway, just wanted to say ni hao or g'day. Bloody great site and wish i found it sooner.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

G'day mate ;)

Welcome to Cartotalk! Feel free to share some of your cartoon maps, I love those.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome SmellyKev!

I am glad you found us - your first post put a smile on my face and I look forward to more from you in the future. Keep up the good work.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • United States

Welcome!

Feel free to share some of your cartoon maps, I love those.

Me, too. Please do share, if you can. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Howdy - Great intro. I also have water resource/GIS background, among others, and would love to see your cartoon maps.
I saw one on my recent visit to Hawaii and had to stop and check in out for a few minutes because they really are "open", inviting, and communicative maps - that speak to our basic needs (where stuff is, and what does it look like).

Chris

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Great post, welcome! I would also like to see some of your cartoons/maps. Are you fluent in Chinese language(s)?
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

G'day again,

thanks for the welcome... Nah, don't speak fluent chinese yet- just a few key words and phrases to get around: ("Help me", "I need an ambulance", "is my food supposed to be still moving?", "yes, I'd LOVE to buy some crappy plastic replica of the olympic stadium at the special 'foreigner rate', thanks for asking".......)

I've included the link to a cartoon map i finished two days ago..... nothing fancy but simple is often good. No access to a GIS so simply obtained the original map from google earth and stuck it straight into photoshop for 'adjustments'.

http://i184.photobuc...lFINALtwist.jpg

I'm still keen to get some carto experience in china but it looks like GIS is definitely not an option- especially in regards to water resources/enviro science. We hairy foreigners just can't be trusted............ Maybe could be an avenue for doing tourist maps or something similar however- i'm still looking into it.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • United States

:lol: Looks like some useful phrases to know! :lol:

Cool map. I think I need to do some "grouind-truthing"... ;)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

:lol: Looks like some useful phrases to know! :lol:

Cool map. I think I need to do some "grouind-truthing"... ;)

I'd recommend a bit of caution during ground truthing...... That turtle is actually drawn to scale of the background map and she gets a wee bit territorial during mating season....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->