5 replies to this topic

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

Hi, My name is Joe. I work for a small county government as a GIS analyst supporting the Public Works Department. I have been in the job for about a year and a half. I took all the GIS classes in college except for the Cart classes ( kicking my self now). I am looking for some ideas on how to make my maps more universal. I look at the same data so much that I understand everything that I look at, but no one else does. I work with a lot of engineers who like to see everything in black and white ( they get distracted with color). I use ArcGIS 9.3 for all of my mapping. Some times I use GIMP to edit graphics I put in my layouts. I am looking forward posting to the map gallery and getting feed back.

Again, Hi.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

Hi, Joe.
Posting maps here for critique should prove helpful. Looking at maps others post and reading the critiques they get can also be helpful.
Then there are books - cartography textbooks, books like Designing Better Maps and Designed Maps by Dr. Brewer, and many others.
And websites like the ESRI Mapping Center at http://mappingcenter.esri.com/
And if you get a chance to go to conferences like ESRI's User Conference presentations and technical workshops on improving your cartography.

Joining this community is a great start!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hello Joe - Welcome. I too had similar issues, but little by little added carto-flourishes to my maps and the engineer-type end users loved them.
Plus, here, you can spread your wings and do some great cartography on the side.

Chris

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the forum!

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

Welcome aboard. I feel your pain on the b/w issue. We have to produce lots of maps in support of the upcoming decennial census (as we did last time, too) that must be black and white because they will be printed in the Local Census Offices, where they only have b/w laser printers. It is quite a challenge.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Hello! While I do think that it is possible to create some elegant map products in black and white I'll bet the major issue is more about the engineers being too conservative. For example, many public works engineer types think that the maps that were designed right about the time they started work are perfect (whether that was 70s or 80s or whatever). But if you can come up with something great they may come around! Your first attempt at breaking from the norm may need to be on your own time, wow them with a great product, and they'll keep wanting more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->