17 replies to this topic

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Wow...high-praise coming from you, Rick! Thanks. B) Although honestly, only about 8-10% of the work found on our firm's web site was developed exclusively by me (vector designs). I've had my hand in many of the other designs related to color adjustment, legend/labeling work or other little "fussy" details, but the superstars at mapformation are named:

Vector work - Bob North, Michael Karpovage, David Burley, and Eric Hunden
Raster work - Michael Karpovage (it's incredible to me what that guy is able to do using Photoshop and a touch of InDesign)
Hand-Rendered work - Bob North
Sketchup - Nate Logston and Aaron Gasper
Flash development - John Wilcox
Cartoon-Style illustrations - Terry Sirrell

I'm mostly just the "closer" around here on vector/HR projects...throwing the 98 MPH heat in the 9th when it comes to design! :) 90-95% of my time now is primarily sales, marketing, operations and web development. I wish it were about 50% design, 50% sales/web...but our team is MUCH better/stronger with me out there looking under rocks and behind trees for more projects. Consequently, I "take one for the team." I DO make sure to keep a few of the fun vector projects for myself though...just because I LOVE it (why I started the firm to begin with) and to make sure I keep my design skills as sharp as I can.
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Just thought I would post a quick follow-up as a bit of closure on this particular subject. I gave my presentation today to approximately 22-23 higher education graphic designers, and it seemed to go over well! The other Architects and Signage/Wayfinding firms in the audience (other presenters) seemed to think it was a good session too. The whole point was primarily to reinforce the idea that:

1. Different people prefer to navigate in different manners, and
2. Offering only one type of map/directions solution is generally making life less convenient for a sizable percentage of one's constituents.

I think I accomplished those two goals. Now we'll see if I get any work out of the presentation! :) One of our clients in attendance said she was sending some additional work our way...but I'm hoping we'll pick also up a new client or two over the next 6-9 months. Time will tell.
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

electric angel

electric angel

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United Kingdom

just a 'thank you' to the folks who've contributed to this discussion. i'm a graphic designer embarking on a mapping commission that will encompass printed material, an interactive web presence, overarching brand and community involvement from the outset.

the map in its various formats will aim to both inform and encourage people to navigate a town in order to gain a cultural understanding/experience of the place. so it's a little bit different to many maps. 'loaded' i guess but honest about its intentions. it's maybe best described as culture meets cognitive mapping.

we start creative sessions with locals and visitors next month to observe how they navigate the town with and without different types of map and given various instructions. this will be followed by 'interventions' in the town that we hope will take people by surprise and give us some different perspectives on how people perceive place.

anyhows, this discussion and many of the other posts have been hugely valuable. i will surely be checking back often and posting some prototypes and ideas for comments.

we're blogging as we go: www.chartscarborough.com

adrian riley
www.electricangel.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->