• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

voteneg

voteneg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,

I've been reading through the forums for the past few days and decided to sign up and share a map I'm in the middle of working on.

I'm in the middle of my first cartography class in school. The assignment was to create a street map that located several things/places. I decided to create a map of Key West that located some popular tourist attractions.

To get where I am so far I used the google/live maps screen capture, stitch, and trace method.

You can download the pdf file from the link below. The filesize is 2.24mb.

http://www.box.net/shared/ba3at42cbh

I've yet to put in roadway labels, a key, and some other bits here & there. Any comments would be appreciated.

In addition I am running into one problem, my cartGIS professor seems to think my map is plagiarized, any ideas (short of redoing the whole thing while screen recording) to show him how it is in fact not copied?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

In addition I am running into one problem, my cartGIS professor seems to think my map is plagiarized, any ideas (short of redoing the whole thing while screen recording) to show him how it is in fact not copied?

Nice map! If you traced it then it is indeed "copied," but not necessarily plagiarized. To prove that you crafted it is actually quite easy. All you need to do is give him your CS4 file - or take a screenshot of your workspace with the layers palette opened. Similarly, if you could show him your work in outline mode (like this attachment) transposed over your reference image it would prove that it's a traced vector.

Attached File  Picture_129.png   72.55KB   115 downloads

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Pretty clear and easy to understand. Would like to see it with more label. Remember to italicize your water features (cow island channel, salt ponds, etc..) and usually they are blue, but I guess they don't have to be. Just makes it easier to understand what you are labeling.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->