• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking around cartotalk for several weeks now. What a wonderful community of folks with similar experience, concerns and outlook! What a great spirit of helpful collaboration! This is one of the things I love about being a cartographer - the openness and good will of the cartographic community.

It is way past time to introduce myself.

I run a one-man map shop from one of the 'thickest' parts of the Southern Appalachian mountains (Burnsville, NC - at the northern end of the Black Mountains). I started Polaris Cartography in August 1996 following a 10 year career in air quality research/consulting (mostly measurement/monitoring related). The usual story - I wanted independence, to do something I love for a living, and to live and raise my kids in a beautiful place. I continued part time with the air quality work until April 2000 - since then it has been all maps!

I am deeply fascinated with landscape/geography/geomorphology - whatever you call the myriad forms and relationships displayed by the earth. Making maps suits my long standing interest/aptitude for distilling and conveying information - another Tufte devotee. I'm an artsy geek, but seem to be becoming more of a geeky artist.

I'm self-taught in cartography, GIS, desktop publishing and all the stuff that goes into making maps these days (with a great deal of much appreciated help from y'all out there). This has involved some trials, but I don't think I would have done it any other way. I've done a goodly share of formal schooling, but I've always learned best by just taking on a project and figuring out how to make it work. The biggest personal challenge in running a map shop has been promoting myself and managing clients. I feel I'm doing much better at this now; but I've spent a lot of time pounding my head against walls.

Apart from maps, I devote most of my attention to my three swell kiddos, my sweetie, and gardening/landscaping on two sunny acres that are 'steep as a horse's face' and thickly overgrown in early succession multflora rose, sumac, honeysuckle, poison ivy, etc. I love to paddle rivers and the sea, hike, study, and gaze and wonder at the world. I have dreams of ocean sailing (once the kids are older and I figure out how to run a map biz from a sailboat).

I've started compiling a list of topics I'd like to introduce on Cartotalk. Most of them have to do with practical cartography and running a map shop. I promise I will (eventually) post some of these and start to weigh in once in awhile on topics introduced by others. Over time, I hope to be able to make a contribution to this great forum!

Eric Ringler
Polaris Cartography

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Welcome Eric. Glad to have you, and hope to hear more from you in the future.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Eric,

Nice to see you finally introducing yourself to everyone here...Point these folks to the excellent work shown on your website otherwise I will ;) ...

maybe you'll make it to Madison next year?

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Eric,

I first saw your work in the 3D world gallery a few years back. Very nice. Another WCS/VNS user I'm guessin? So far Hans and myself are the only others on this board that I know of to use those tools. At some point it be good to hear to what extent you use VNS in your production.

Welcome,

Rob

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

Thanks to Nick, Martin and Rob for the welcoming words.

My map portfolio is at polarismaps.com

Rob, I am indeed a WCS user (since 1998). I love the 3D work, but don't get to do as much of it as I would like. There are some more recent examples in my portfolio. The Haywood county (waynesville, lake junaluska) panorama is yet to be printed, but it is my best work to date. A lot of interesting terrain manipulation went into the Puget sound panorama.

e

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Eric,

Welcome and thanks for sharing those beautiful maps on your site with us (thanks Martin for prodding him). It's obvious your talent will be a great addition to the group.
Rick Dey

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Eric,

Beautiful maps indeed, why don't you go ahead and post a few in the Map Gallery here?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

I visited your website a while ago, and echo the sentiments of the other CartoTalk members. Really nice work. Nice to hear you talk about being self-taught as well. I am definately with you on that one!

Cheers,

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->