- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Here is a site I just bumped into that offers "an interactive environment for custom cartography..." It's called Cartifact Maps.

They have a beta map for Los Angeles and I have been stuck on it for bit. I'm really impressed, esp. with the lens tool. You can float across space and through time simultaneously.

I want one.

Attached File  Picture_126.png   745.01KB   102 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Cartifact creates really great maps. We have one on our wall. The map viewer looks great as well, but I couldnt get the information window to close to give it try.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • United States

I know it's a stupid question - but did you click that little 'x' in the upper right corner? B)

Probably a typical beta problem - I have been able to use it in Safari on a Mac and PC. I guess they have optimized it for Firefox also.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

That lens thing is really neat- especially the way it can alter to google to aerial etc. I like it better than zoomify. Is it proprietary?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • United States

I am not too sure if it's proprietary. I'll see if they answer the e-mail I sent them earlier today. :)

I like the dynamic nature of the lens and how it responds as you move it and also when you pan the map. It was launched yesterday so hopefully they'll make an announcement of their plans. I am hoping they'll take a "Google" approach and let folks mash-up with other data and areas.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I know it's a stupid question - but did you click that little 'x' in the upper right corner? B)

Probably a typical beta problem - I have been able to use it in Safari on a Mac and PC. I guess they have optimized it for Firefox also.

Yep, I tried the little 'x' in the corner! My computer was down today so I had to use an old 'POC' that only had IE and I didn't want to bother updating it.

mapdesign

mapdesign

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Yep, I tried the little 'x' in the corner! My computer was down today so I had to use an old 'POC' that only had IE and I didn't want to bother updating it.

Hi. This is Bruce Daniel, Director of Cartifact Labs. The problem was probably related to the age of the browser. We recommend Safari, Firefox or Chrome, at the moment. We have also tested it in IE7 and 8, but not earlier. Please let me know directly (labs@cartifact.com) if you have further problems and I'll try to work with you to resolve them.

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Here is a site I just bumped into that offers "an interactive environment for custom cartography..." It's called Cartifact Maps.

I don't know if the site's down, but I can't connect to it :(

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • United States

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to Cartotalk and congrats on your new mapping tool! I really like the design and implementation.

I have dreamt of a lens tool like this but never anything beyond fanciful imagination - and with multiple data frames (historical, aerial, etc.) you even exceeded that! I was even able to get it to load on my iPhone (albeit with unpredictable functionality). At first I thought it was Flash, but I guess it's something newer? Java & Flex?

Good luck with the development and thanks for creating something so intriguing.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I am not sure I am wild about the name "cartifact" - it makes me think about "artefact"... (rather than cartography + facts)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

mapdesign

mapdesign

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I think we've gotten the IE browser bugs worked out (Welcome screen and panning problem). Thanks for the feedback, and hope you'll keep giving the site a whirl. http://maps.cartifact.com

Bruce Daniel, Director, Cartifact Labs

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I think we've gotten the IE browser bugs worked out (Welcome screen and panning problem). Thanks for the feedback, and hope you'll keep giving the site a whirl. http://maps.cartifact.com

Bruce Daniel, Director, Cartifact Labs

Bruce,
I couldn't get the lens tool to work in IE6 but everything worked like it should in IE 7 and Firefox 3.08. This is super impressive. Well done. Erin

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Bruce,

That is fantastic - should win a design award. Not only is in a useful tool (hard to make imho) it is also fun!
I recently did some work for the LA Homeless Services Authority, so was excited to see your work on that - very nicely done.

-Chris

Eok N.

Eok N.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I've always been impressed by Cartifact produced maps in general.
Always sleek, clean and packs in so much information.

Wished the City of L.A.'s GIS applications and maps could work this well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->