9 replies to this topic

stefan

stefan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Hello Cartographers,

Here's a link to a map I've been working on for the 'Salish Sea' (a proposed name for the combined inland waters of Washington state and British Columbia). There is both the map itself and the 'B' side which has information about the map and the Salish Sea area.

The cartography is intended to focus on the water and surrounding lands, thus you will note the intentional absence of the international border or any cities/roads/etc.

Feedback welcome.

Salish Sea website (different resolutions available)

medium resolution 150 dpi, 8 MB

The B Side

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

hiya,

several comments for you:
- i don't understand why you label most rivers in yellow and one in blue?
- you have labeled only the southern gulf islands as the gulf islands. what about hornby, deman, lasqueti and texada??
- i find the halos a bit distracting in general
- the colours feel a little bright to me
- i think your mountain labels should be on the inside of the watershed boundary if the mountains are located within the watershed
- out of curiosity, what's your projection?
- your website has some grammer and spelling issues.

interesting concept. looking forward to seeing the next version.

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Hi - I like the overall look and feel of your map. I think the oval down at the bottom is nice. The data sources list at the bottom could use a few extra minutes of your time. Mostly I prefer it when people spell out the data sources because really, if someone picks up your map who is unfamiliar with the data you used but wants to obtain it, they won't know what SRTM stands for or NOAA, etc. I like to be conservative with that. I like that you've "popped out" the Georgia Basin watershed by making the surrounding areas lighter.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I think this map is gorgeous.
Colours look spot on to me.
The inset looks great (except for the unnecessary halo on the country names)
A very beautiful job. Congratulations!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Looks interesting. I didn't see a listing for the bathymetry data - where did you get that?

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Stefan,

There is one serious error to this map, watersheds do not start and stop in mid stream. You've made an arbitrary watershed boundary across the Fraser River and the Homathko River. Not sure what it going on between the Queen Charlotte Strait and Strait of Georgia either, but it is another arbitrary line.

A lot of your rivers are not connected (Nisqually R.) or they are inland basins (which don't exist in the Pacific Northwest).

Why is there a low resolution option on your website? Who prints at 72dpi? I clicked on it and waited for it to download and then couldn't read a thing. Wasted my time. Same could be said about 150dpi, but at least I could read that one. I would have 1 print resolution set at 300dpi (which you do), and then a jpeg for viewing on the computer(which you do) and that is it.

I applaud the effort and it is a nice looking map. I also believe that it is a worthy cause.

Good luck,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Well spotted razornole - when I look it at now I see all things things - the "watershed boundary" seems quite arbitrary... What is it based on?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

hey Stefan, fancy meeting you here!

Just wanted to throw out a suggestion on the B-Side text. A quarter inch more margin would keep the text from falling on the same line as the edge of the map, and maybe even go even lighter on the image to increase contrast with the text.

I like the A side. Its strange how different landforms look once you remove the political boundaries.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

kent

kent

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Canada

I agree with razornole, the watershed should include the entire Fraser River and Hamathko basins. Having the boundaries where they are gives inaccuracies for no reason. It conveys to the reader that the Salish Sea basin is much smaller than it actually is.

Aesthetically, I think you have done some great things with ArcGIS. The art is solid.

(Attachment from wikipedia.org, 2009)

Attached Files

stefan

stefan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Hello All,

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions, most of which I have incorporated into the current version of the map.

Current versions:

Salish Sea map (medium resolution 150 dpi, 8 MB)
Salish Sea map - 150 dpi

Website (different resolutions available):

Salish Sea map website

http://myweb.facstaf...n/SalishSea.htm

Again, great feedback (more is always welcome), thanks.

~stefan

PS: Regarding the Watershed boundary and the exclusion of the upper Fraser River. Obviously, the true watershed of the Salish Sea includes all of the Fraser and all of the lands that drain into the Fraser. The intent of this map, however, was specifically to highlight the inland marine waters and their surrounding land areas. Thus, a somewhat arbitrary decision was made to cut the Fraser watershed at a certain point. This focuses the map on a smaller geographic area, allowing more detail on the map. It also confines the map to that area that includes the vast majority of the people in the Salish Sea watershed, and to the area that logically and historically has been associated with the ocean. As one moves inland, and upland, the issues and concerns change accordingly.

Again, the watershed boundary I used is clearly inaccurate, but it fits the purpose of the map.

I considered adding a data note to that effect on the map, but think that it detracts from the overall aesthetic. Instead, I've included that discussion as part of the text on the back side of the map.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->