Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Hello GISers,

I am posting a question here is how do I backup mxd files for later use ? Is there a good way around ? I know there is a way to do that by zip it or burn to DVD. I'd like to throw this question here.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

ZIP it all up, source files being used in ArcMap, folders, rasters, absolutely everything. And check the pathways as well. And a DVD or a regular blank CD is a good idea for a backup aqs long as you don't damage it.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Yeah, basically backup all data referenced by the mxd. The best way to make sure that it will work afterwards is to store relative paths in the MXD. Basically then, if everything is on the same drive (otherwise an absolute path will be stored which you must make sure is still valid when using the project the next time) you're ready to backup any wy you like - zip, burn, copy.
My preferred way is to keep all data in subdirectories of the MXD path.

Crischan
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Thanks everyone. How about backup data that are larger than 1 GB ? Are there any good resources that I can use ?

Robert

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Robert - you have loads of options: External disk, Backup robot, SAN, on-line backup, compression (might fit on a cd after zipping), dvd.

Personally I love background on-line backup - Mozy, Carbonite or BackBlaze (I use the latter).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->