• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I posted my question on the Mapping Center, but I'd like to have other inputs...

I'm using the align tools to align the corner of my dataframes and labels.

I first snap my dataframes to my guides and then align the labels to the top-right corner.

As you can see on the attachment, the dataframe isn't right on the guide even though it is snaped to it. when I align the label to the corner of the dataframe, it is right on the guide (but wasn't snaped to it) which tells me there's something wrong with my dataframes.

I have other graphic items in my map and the snap works fine. It's only a problem that occurs from time to time... I've made 4 other maps like this one and everything was fine and they were all made from the same original document...

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Hm,

the only way I can reproduce this (ArcMap 9.2) is by giving the line style for the frame a offset which requires a "cartographic line" style. Can you check that?

Attached Files

Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

It's a simple line... :(

and there's no grouped objects neither...

I'll keep it in mind though... could be practical!

Thanks!

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

I've had similiar problem with that. What I think you can do is turn it off and move it to the line and turn back it on ?
Do I answer your question right ?

Just helping another GISers :)

It's a simple line... :(

and there's no grouped objects neither...

I'll keep it in mind though... could be practical!

Thanks!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Is there an offset on any part of the data frame's frame (Data Frame Properties > Frame tab)?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

I tried Robert's solution and look for Dave's suggestion and ... nothing.

No gaps, no offsets, no ...

When I'm moving it, I clearly see a blue line around my dataframe so there's definitely something creating the offset, but I can't find where it's coming from.

I tried adding a new dataframe and everything's OK... I only have 6 to replace with only a raster in every one of them so it will take 3 minutes, but I had this problem with very complex maps with annotation layers and advanced effects so re-creating them wasn't an option and I'd really like to solve this problem for good...

Thanks a lot guys!!! I'll keep looking...

Attached Files

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Germany

Would you mind attaching the .mxd without the data so we have a shot at it ourselves?
Crischan Wygoda

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

"Mapping Center Answer:

So, saying that the guides and snapping works better than it ever has, isn't going to be helpful. In fact I learned not to use the guides years ago (when snapping to them behaved even worse), . What I do instead is use the Size and Position tab (in element and data frame properties) and do positioning by the numbers (if you've every used ArcPlot, it's pretty much the same thing, only you're using dialog boxes instead of AML). That's the only sure way to get the sort of layout you're doing to work correctly. "

Well, I don't think the guide and snapping is the problem... my dataframe is... And the advantage of the snapping is that it's a lot faster!

For those who want to see by themselves, I've attached my mxd (if from a preliminary version so there's only one dataframe left).

Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1931.zip   35.37KB   23 downloads

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Germany

Okay, I got it: There's a disabled Grid - when I remove it completely everything snaps ok.

Cheers,
Crischan
Crischan Wygoda

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Okay, I got it: There's a disabled Grid - when I remove it completely everything snaps ok.

What??? I can't believe I didn't see that! THANKS!!!

I honestly didn't thought it could be something like that since we always place our ticks and label inside the dataframe. There's nothing outside (line offset or anything).

I'll still have that problem when using a grid, but at least I'll know where that comes from...

Thanks again guys, I knew I could count on you! :D

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

There are little things we missed something !!! we learned something a new daily !

Robert

What??? I can't believe I didn't see that! THANKS!!!

I honestly didn't thought it could be something like that since we always place our ticks and label inside the dataframe. There's nothing outside (line offset or anything).

I'll still have that problem when using a grid, but at least I'll know where that comes from...

Thanks again guys, I knew I could count on you! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->