23 replies to this topic

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Again, great comments all! I especially appreciate the link to the Imhof article. Sorry not to mention that legend, scale and North Arrow are to be added. I was going to drop the locator, as the primary readers live/work in the region but felt bad losing it. Besides, I'm sure it will get used outside the intended uses. Will post a revision as time goes on.
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

In response to comments. Take 3. The larger country labels are growing on me but I feel like the map is more cluttered now. Maybe it's the font for the country labels or something else. I tried a lighter color for the font but it washed out too much on some countries. maybe a little more experimentation.

Still on the to do list:
- find a spot for the locator map
- legend and scale bar
- fix rivers under names to be less prominent rather than non-existent

Attached Files

Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

My initial response to this version was that it was 3D. It is Mozambique that jumps out at me. To me it is a distraction, but you may like it. Kinda disorienting.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

My initial response to this version was that it was 3D. It is Mozambique that jumps out at me. To me it is a distraction, but you may like it. Kinda disorienting.

kru

kru,

Are you referring to the label "Mozambique" or the county itself?

I must admit, the labels have grown on me, I put the map away for a week and the labels look good now. My minimalist side though finds it all sort of busy.

Thanks for the comments. I the end, I'm presenting the two options to the client for their review. They have a strong sense of what they want and I don't think either solution compromises the product.

D
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello D,

I was referring to the label and not the country. The basemap looks good. To me it just looks like it is extruded and beveled with AI. I've had people tell me to try curving my text before on my maps, but to me it is a distraction. It grabbed my attention right away, and led my eye-train in the wrong direction. Maybe that is where you want emphasis? It is not wrong, and it ultimately your/your client's decision. Just giving you my two-cents.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Hello D,

I was referring to the label and not the country. The basemap looks good. To me it just looks like it is extruded and beveled with AI. I've had people tell me to try curving my text before on my maps, but to me it is a distraction. It grabbed my attention right away, and led my eye-train in the wrong direction. Maybe that is where you want emphasis? It is not wrong, and it ultimately your/your client's decision. Just giving you my two-cents.

kru

Thanks for the comments kru. They are helpful and the exact reason I posted the map up for comments!

Tuan Pham Anh

Tuan Pham Anh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:GIS, 3D, Linux, GPS, Embedded ARM, AVR, Java, Web, DB, Blues Guitar, CS1.6...
  • Vietnam

It is beautiful, I could not make it with MapInfo :( . I wish someday I could create a map like this.

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

It is beautiful, I could not make it with MapInfo :( . I wish someday I could create a map like this.

For what I've seen, I have no doubt about that! :)

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Are you sure the shaded relief registers properly? Some of those rivers behave rather strangely. Look at the ones flowing north from Zimbabwe through the mountains, then surprisingly straight across a flatland into Cahora Bassa. One, for some reason, is interrupted just as it gets there.

I think the red circles for capital cities should be black. They should stay on the same visual layer as other cities, with only the star signifying their difference.

I would give a slight reserve S-curve to the label Lake Malawi.

I would spell Reservoir correctly.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->