Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

For the sake of those of us that had to stay home and keep working, I think we'd all love to hear from those who were able to attend NACIS.

So far all we've got is that there was some Jaegermeister involved.
Rick Dey

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Well, in short, it was great. According to Nick there were about 15 Cartotalk members attending, but I think it was more (there were 12 of us for the Cartotalk dinner and I can think of several members that didn't go there).

The atmosphere was very friendly and I felt at ease right away. There were lots of interesting presentations and the only gripe I have is that sometimes there were two interesting ones going on at the same time.

My own presentation went very well, so obviously I'm pleased :D

The trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion was absolutely amazing (I actually ran out of words to describe it...). Will post some photos later. I'm currently with friends in California and want to enjoy my little 'vacation' B)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I too very much enjoyed my first NACIS meeting. It was great to see the faces of many people I have communicated with here. Also, we got a great response in general about Cartotalk and we were mentioned in the program guide. I hope to see a number of new members as a result.

As Hans said the sessions were interesting and informative. The poster displays were very good and I saw lots of great map designs.

I highly encourage everyone to join NACIS and come to next year's meeting in Madison, Wisconsin. I know I will be there.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • United States

Beyond seconding Hans and Nick's reviews I'll point you to a longer "report" on the conference from John Krygier at the "Cartography" blog.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

The meeting was definitely a fun time and a great networking opportunity. Very friendly, interesting, and social group all with a strong/keen appreciation for all things cartography. The presentations and roundtable discussions provided good insight into how others approach and manage the routine cartographic challanges we face each day in our work.

For those that read/post on this board and who are not a member of NACIS, you may want to consider the society as another good way (besides this great board...) to make contact with people of like interests. Great journal four times a year as well.

Aloha, Rob

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

John Krygier has written a short summary of his impressions of the conference. They are available on the CCABlog. I'm hoping that more will come in the near future.

Sylvie

Sylvie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Mexico

Echoing what others have said, it was a great chance to meet people--as well as reconnect with old friends. What a congenial group! The presentations were interesting and useful, and I agree with Hans' lament that sometimes it was hard to choose between two presentations.

Far from a synopsis, here are just a few snippets:

Map Design Panel on what goes on before you you make the map
Organized by Barbara Buttenfield, some of the questions asked were:
"What happens in the ideation process?"
"At what point in the design process does your internal vision of the design emerge?"
"What tools do you use?"
"How do you describe what's in your mind?"
"Which elements of design are easiest/hardest to manifest?"

For Alex Tait, tools included brainstorming on a whiteboard and walking the dog. Hardest to manifest is the hierarchy of detail.

Dennis McClendon noted "its not when nothing more can be added; it's when nothing more can be taken away" [who was he quoting?], and that most difficult element is color hierarchy.

Eva Sieskera talked about the challenges of making maps for the visually impaired.

Tom Patterson resists the urge to design in mind and instead listens to what the client wants.

Stuart Allan doesn't make maps; he builds them. He starts with a big image; a shape that will be striking. Then he considers color, balancing the range of colors in the context of other colors being used. Type should be beautiful. The bottom line is that you have to have an image that people want to look at.

Freelancing Round Table
Organized by Martha Bostwick, the excellent and practical discussion was informal with chairs set up facing each other (unlike the typical speaker-audience set-up). Among the topics discussed was how much to charge for work, hourly or by the map, copyrights, and how to collect on bad debt. One thing it seemed most everyone agreed on is that by charging too little, you do yourself and everyone else a disservice. Another thing that came out of this talk is that the term "freelancing" apparently has some negative connotations... a fly-by-night sort of operation. I'll think twice about using the term any more.

Cartotalk dinner at the Brew Pub
Cartotalk members met for dinner at the Red Rocks Brewery. We were split into two tables of six, which had the upside of a more intimate occassion in which to visit with folks. After dinner and a valiant 45 minute quest for soda and tonic, we regrouped at the NACIS hospitality suite to round out the first full day of the conference.

Thanks for organizing and facilitating it, Nick!

David Rumsey's presentation at the banquet dinner
At the conclusion of the dinner, David Rumsey presented a visually stunning presentation merging historical maps with with present day data and gaming technology. My favorite was the fly-through of of an antique Yosemite Valley map overlaid on a DEM. I'm at a loss for words to say more about this, but suffice it to say, he received a well-deserved standing ovation. See David Rumsey Historical Map Collection.

Geodweeb Geopardy
Organized by Dennis McClendon (channeling Art Fleming), it was hysterical. Four teams of three contestants competed Jeopardy-style in geography-only categories. Substituting colored paddles for buzzers, the power-point driven "answer board" was ingeniously true to form. The game went by all too fast. I hope this becomes a tradition at future NACIS conferences.

In short, the conference was well worth it, and it was great to meet fellow cartotalk members.
Sylvie Amezcua White
TerraPen GeoGraphics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Sylvie,

Thanks for taking notes. That was a great overview of some of the hightlights.

Dennis McClendon noted "its not when nothing more can be added; it's when nothing more can be taken away"

I think a number of people are attributed with having said this, but he referenced Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Nick Springer

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Netherlands

Sounds I really missed out on something useful at the freelancing session... Oh well, there was plenty of other useful and inspiring content.

Too bad nobody thought of bringing a camera to the Cartotalk dinner...

David Rumsey's talk was probabely the biggest highlight for me. I wonder what the ancient cartographers would say if they could come over to this time and watch their maps in his presentation (overlayed on Google Earth).
Red Geographics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Thank you all for your thoughts, Sylvie for your great distillation, & John for his thorough report (even if it is over at ccablog). I definitely missed out and will be trying my damnedest to make it to Madison next year. I had just tried out David Rumsey's online 3-d viewer with antique maps overlayed on DEMs, but I can imagine that when someone who really knows how to work it is at the helm its got to be impressive.
Rick Dey

RGKennedy

RGKennedy

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

I found a small notebook on the NACIS registration table on Saturday afternoon (10/15/05). It contained some obviously NACISistic notes and I believe someone inadvertently left it there.

If it is yours, let me know and I will pop it into the mail to you.

Gordon Kennedy--gordon@rgkennedy.com

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

It was great to meet so many of the cartotalk folks at NACIS - and to find others who share a passion for maps and, well, maybe mixing maps and drinks? Even though I missed the brewpub dinner (I was late..very late) I still got to meet lots of people. I thought the seminars were excellent - there was so many relevant topics and it was great to be able to talk to the presenters so easily.

Nick - thanks for adding the NACIS choice in the profile!

Who still has a NACIS tattoo stuck on them?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

Who still has a NACIS tattoo stuck on them?

Mine has worn off but my kids thought they were the coolest things ever when I brough them home on Saturday and they still had them on as of this evening.
Attached File  noah_nacis.jpg   62.33KB   107 downloadsAttached File  hope_nacis.jpg   78.72KB   105 downloads

Nick Springer

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I had a great time as well at the NACIS conference and I've already started making plans for the next one in Madison. Meeting everyone from the Cartotalk forum was a lot of fun and it made being a conference "newbie" much easier and more enjoyable...especially for a person who isnt extremely outgoing in the first place.

All of the presentations I was able to attend were outstanding. At times it was really difficult to decide which ones to attend and which ones to miss. Maybe next year the presenter's Power Point presentations could be made available online after the conference?

When I got home, the first thing I did was load David Rumsey's web page and mess around with all the great things he has on there. Simply Amazing. Anyone else go home and head straight for the Rumsey URL?

It was great meeting all of you!

Mr. Erin

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Netherlands

Mr Erin,

Yeah, I got on the Rumsey site as soon as I could (hijacking my friend's wireless internet connection).

As for the powerpoint presentations, I'd be more than happy to make mine available to whoever wants it.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->