- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

kealist

kealist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I'm getting interested in making some maps for some of my personal research in Central Asia. I started using QGIS today, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on some of the basics, but I want to go ahead and work with a real dataset in my area of interest.

I've been looking around for datasets involving central asia, china, mongolia. However, I'm not entirely sure what I need. I see maps like this one on wikipedia:

Posted Image

and I want to make something similar. Ideally, I would like to make maps of a small region between several towns (perhaps with a map of 50km x 50 km). What resolution of topographical/elevation data would I need for that size of map?

Thanks for your time, if I am asking something too vague or asking the wrong sort of question I would appreciate any guidance.

kealist

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Try vmap:
http://gis-lab.info/qa/vmap0-eng.html

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->