10 replies to this topic

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

I am working on this map as a means of showing the client where there is a need to remove invasive plants along streams. The data are based on a line feature class of the stream segments. I buffered each side of the stream out by about 30 feet in order to show the places that need invasive removal by stream bank (left side versus right side). There isn't a need for a locator map since the audience definitely knows where the stream is located. I wish I could make the map size bigger but the client really wants to be able to print it at 11 x 17.

Attached Files

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Gretchen,

Seems to me that with all the blank space available on the map you could position the labels/text so they are not crossed by the stream. This map is nothing but dead space. Why is King County not orthogonal? Why are there park boundaries inside a park boundary? There appears to be vacant property inside the the water boundary, what ever water body that is.

On my map the parcels do not come through clear. I would think with all that available space you could easily place the legend inside the map instead of keeping it seperate.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hi Gretchen,

I'm not too concerned with the white space, however I think you could add some labels to the map (e.g. streams, roads, parks, large water bodies) It may be a good idea to dissolve the parks layer, instead of having multiple parcels, unless those smaller parcels actually represent something on the ground.

I also think 11X17 is fine, the detail you are showing does not necessarily need to be in a larger format...I can read it!! If you really want more clarity, think if the buffer on the map really has to be 30'. You could symbolize the invasive areas with larger polygons, to make them clearer, but I am sure that the people who are actually removing the vegetation will know to work within the 30' vegetative buffer. Another solution would be to zoom in on the two areas that require invasive removal and show them individually with a small inset map showing the entire stream extent and the location of the two invasive areas as an inset.

Thanks,

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your help! Here's the newest iteration. I completely changed the parcel/parks/open space background and added more labels.

I wish I could make the buffers bigger but it seemed like when I did that they started to obscure smaller/curvier segments of the creek. And as far as the margin box at the bottom goes, I felt it was necessary since this is part of a map series with other map extents - if I floated the margin info then it would have to be moved on each page to accomodate the other data, making it hard to flip through maps easily.

Attached Files

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Gretchen,

To me that is much more communicative. However, to me Burlington Northern is the highest on the VH. Not sure if that is what you are shooting for. With your hatch, there could be some confusion between harmful invasives and steep slope harmful invasives in the northeast, hard to tell which one it is. Not crazy about the uneven spaces on the legend.

Should you define what a steep slope is compared to a medium slope. To me that is just nominal data.

Hope that helps,

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

looks good! One comment - the light pink drowns a bit in the light gray on the part of the creek at the bottom...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

The second version is much better.
The "King County" rectangle is now very hard to discern, maybe a different colour? Also, it looks like there is some heavy aliasing going on.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I really like the improvements! The 2nd map feels a lot more inviting, but would 2nd Hugo's comment regarding the lighter pink Invasives on the grey.

I am not too sure the project warrants it - but adding some topographical indicators (hillshade or slopeshade) might help enforce the environmental landscape.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

I really appreciate the feedback! I've fixed a bunch of the other things mentioned: changed the invasives colors for both the hatched and light pink areas to darker colors. I darkened the rectangle that is labeled as being owned by King County and lessened the impact of the railway feature. I also straightened up the spacing on the legend a bit. Still struggling with getting the line data smoothed however. I don't have ArcEditor or ArcInfo (or AI) so I am searching for an online tool. Otherwise I'll transfer over to my GRASS machine and get it done there. Thank you!

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

XtoolsPro has a "smooth lines" function. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help smooth my particular line data very much. I may have to give up on smoothing the data as I am running out of time.

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Nice map ! Perhaps you could add logos for PetersonGIS and Seattle Public Utiliities ? Where is the disclamier statement ?

For me, I always add NRCS logo and Soil Survey logos and disclamier statement on my maps. You could also put
a statement for Public use or Private use..etc. Thought I would share you a feedback.

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->