4 replies to this topic

Nichodemus

Nichodemus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hi everyone. Forgive me if I've posted this elsewhere, I thought I did but I haven't seen it show up. What I am trying to find out is if anyone out there has any sort of computer database or system to keep track of archived electronic map documents, primarily PDF and JPG/TIFF. Right now I have a set of directories, and an excel file that keeps track of the map number (so I can find the PDF in the directory), map description, scale, title, date, hard copy filing location, etc. I'd like to get all this into some sort of database, maybe with a web-based front end, a lot like this program except without the $6000 price tag (its only about 1000 documents right now) Arc|Base 5 from RATIO

I'm not looking for a project management system, because I'm only trying to keep complete PDF versions or TIFF's for scans, not going to edit them (for that, I'll go back to the original project directory). It would be nice to be able to print the PDF and maybe even see a thumbnail preview or something.

Any ideas or open source products you've worked with? I thought about trying to program my own HTML/PHP/MySQL solution, but just haven't had the time to get into it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I love the site, lurk here all the time.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi there and welcome! Have you looked at photo management applications - things that are one step up from the personal/basics (like picasa) - more for professionals?

You might also be able to do something like that with Adobe Bridge (which I haven't used that much).

Here is an example of an open source digital asset management system: Razuna
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

cloveman

cloveman

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Hi,
If you are an ESRI/ArcGIS user the Production Line Toolset (PLTS) extension offers a tool called product library. It’s a spatially enabled document management system that’s integrated with ArcMap. It allows you to associate different file types (PDFs or any type of document) with map documents and/or a geographic extent. It also keeps track of map scale, projection, rotation and other types of map metadata too. All this information is stored and managed inside the geodatabase.
Clint Loveman
Esri - Professional Services

Nichodemus

Nichodemus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hi there and welcome! Have you looked at photo management applications - things that are one step up from the personal/basics (like picasa) - more for professionals?

You might also be able to do something like that with Adobe Bridge (which I haven't used that much).

Here is an example of an open source digital asset management system: Razuna

Photo management, hadn't thought about that. I will give Razuna a shot when I get it installed, it may be some overkill for what I need, but we will see. The problem with Adobe Bridge is that I am the only one with access to it, only have one copy of Adobe, but may need several people to get to the maps archive. However, it could work, too. I'll play around with it as well.

I don't have PLTS, and I'd like to stay away from an ESRI only solution if I could. ... also not sure if it would track PDFs?

Thanks for the info. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Sarah Middleton

Sarah Middleton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi Nichodemus

You're far better of managing PDF, Tiff and JPEG images with a proper document management system. If you search on Google you'll find a lot of this sort of product but I think it will take you a long time to trawl through them all to find one you like, at a price that won't break the bank.

It might be worth you taking a look at FileStream, it's a very well thought out product that can manage over 400 different image formats.

Their system is available as a standalone license for less than £1000 sterling or as a fully networked product, so I'm sure you will be able to find something that suits your requirements.

If you follow this link you'll see some more information on this system Document Management System

FileStream are a UK based firm but do sell their system to International customers.

I hope this info is useful

All the best
Sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->