amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:map design, mountain cartography, typography
  • United States

Hi All,

We are working on some detailed street mapping with extensive Maplex settings for autolabelling. I am trying to figure out how to save the settings from the sample file for use in other files and can not see how to save Maplex settings. I can save text styles easily and there appears to be a place for storing the Maplex settings in the the Styles Manager in ArcMap 9.3. What am I missing?

BTW I have an ArcView level license so maybe what I'm missing is the ArcInfo level license...

__Alex
Alex Tait
VP, International Mapping, Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sue

Sue

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

As far as I know (Not sure what the enhancements are from 9.2 to 9.3 in regards to Maplex) there isn't currently a way to export just Maplex settings. You can just save as a .lyr file, which saves the labeling setting along with other style settings.

Best bet is to give your local ESRI office a quick call or post this on the ESRI Maplex forums (posts are read by ESRI staff).

amtait

amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • United States

Thanks, I'd forgotten about saving .lyr. Saving the text style did not save the Maplex placement settings so maybe the .lyr will.

As far as I know (Not sure what the enhancements are from 9.2 to 9.3 in regards to Maplex) there isn't currently a way to export just Maplex settings. You can just save as a .lyr or save the style, which saves the labeling setting along with other style settings.

Best bet is to give your local ESRI office a quick call or post this on the ESRI Maplex forums (posts are read by ESRI staff).

Alex Tait

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

The .lyr file has worked for me in the past with respect to annotation and Maplexed labels.

I do wish however that layer files worked in such way that they stay "linked" to the layer so you could update them and that update would propagate itself throughout all the documents that use that particular layer style. Kinda like linking files in InDesign.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Maybe some day, Matthew :)

Another workaround might be to make a map with all of the settings and then swap in different data sources. Just make sure they are all set up the same way or you could run into "mismatch" errors. In other words, if roads layer "a" has a text field called "name" that is used for labeling make sure roads layer "b" has a text field called "name". If layer "a" is classified or uses a definition query make sure layer "b" can do the same.

Posting on the Maplex section of the ESRI user forums is a good idea, too. :)
You could also try the "ask a cartographer" section of the ESRI Mapping Center. Get Charlie or Aileen to see if they can track down an answer for you. ;)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

amtait

amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the suggestions, .lyr works and instead of saving settings and applying to a different file, we will be copying the file and linking to a different dataset with similar attributes, should work.

I will also post to Ask a Cartographer.

Maybe some day, Matthew :)

Another workaround might be to make a map with all of the settings and then swap in different data sources. Just make sure they are all set up the same way or you could run into "mismatch" errors. In other words, if roads layer "a" has a text field called "name" that is used for labeling make sure roads layer "b" has a text field called "name". If layer "a" is classified or uses a definition query make sure layer "b" can do the same.

Posting on the Maplex section of the ESRI user forums is a good idea, too. :)
You could also try the "ask a cartographer" section of the ESRI Mapping Center. Get Charlie or Aileen to see if they can track down an answer for you. ;)

Alex Tait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->