• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello All,

Here's a map that I had to make to please my thesis committee. It will go in the appendix along with 5 others in a very similar format which I haven't made yet. Because it is in the appendix it will need to be stand alone. They just requested that I make a map that documents all the photos that I took and included in the thesis so the pics can become archival.

Concerns or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Nice!! I wish I had the intelligence to work on a thesis that involved hiking along trails! B)

Very smooth and clean. The only thing I would have the inclination to change would be to eliminate all the distracting island specs in the ocean. Unless they are important to the map - I would ditch them as their visual hierarchy is pretty substantial.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Yeah, Recreational Geography can be tough at times, but someone has to do it!

I'll consider loosing the islands, but I'll play with the blue line work around them first to lower them in the VH. Thanks for the reply.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Ahhh, looks very nice
but Where is this?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Hey Jean-Louis,

After reading a 150 pages of thesis, I would hope you know where this is. However, you bring up a good point for a stand alone map. It's Olympic National Park, WA.

kru
Strabo 22AD

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Ironically that's where I happen to be as I am writing this - Bellingham, WA actually. My point is that it is not obvious. There are only 2 names on your map: Pacific Ocean and Olympic National Park. Unless you specifically know this park and assuming that there is no other with a similar name from Alaska to Argentina, it was not clear for me what I was looking at -even though I am actually here.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Wish I were only 5 hours from Olympic. However, I am enjoying my 75 degree day here in Arkansas. You do bring up a good point, and I need to remedy it.

Enjoy your visit,
kru
Strabo 22AD

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

What software was used, and where did you get your DEM and contour data?
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

This may be a bit nitpicky but I actually didn't immediately realize that your Legend was a legend. I didn't know what it was until I stared at it for a minute. I'm not one to advocate putting "legend" on a legend but maybe if the legend item graphics were closer to their labels or something...

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

The legend aside, you definitely have to put Canada on the locator map. The way it looks right now it looks as though that entire thing is the Strait of Juan De Fuca when I believe there's a tip of Vancouver Island that should be there?

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the responses.

Software used are ArcMap, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Data source is the National Elevation Dataset maintained by the USGS. Generated the contour data in ArcMap.

Gretchen, you're right with Canada. The legend needs something, but not the word Legend. Still playing with that.

kru
Strabo 22AD

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Thanks to all who responded, attached is the final version (more or less). I have to move on the next map.

kru

Attached Files

Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->