jeffm

jeffm

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hi All,

I've been reading the forums for quite some time now and have decided to show my work in hope of some criticism. This is the only map I've ever worked on and everything I know is based on "learning-by-doing."

Link: www.algonquinmap.com - there's a flash based viewer right on the front page (The full sized downloads are rather large) - the legend is in a popup on the upper right side of the viewer.

I created it in Illustrator using some GIS data sent from Global Mapper/ARCGIS to .ai via ARCGIS (Contour lines, etc.)

As the title implies it's a map intended primarily for canoeists of Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada.

It's taken 2.5 years to get to this point and has matured a lot from it's initial stages. Since I posted it online last May I've distributed copies to almost 14000 people. That being said, I'm sure there's room for improvement. One thing I know I need to work on is the fonts I use (ie what's appropriate in different locations, and decreasing the number of fonts used.)

Thanks all!

Jeffrey McMurtrie
www.algonquinmap.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Here are some of the problems:

- The map is a bit over done
- there are some issues with the dominance of certain text features such as streams
- contour numbers, lakes, river text should be a darker colour of the same colour scheme as the features labelled. eg. Lake name is a much darker cyan then the colour of the lake
- some of the buildings are touching the roads
- get rid of the reference & replace it with a grid of metres north & metres west.
- some of the text is hard to read, colour changing colour of some or adding behind fill

Overall think simple, don't add too many features. Your readers would lose interest if the map is too busy.

I also want to submit the following as a guide:

http://maps.nrcan.gc...ecs/index_e.php

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Wow That is one hell of a piece of work there, Jeffrey

At first I was overwhelmed by the busyness but looking at more of the site and seeing that it is part of an 84 page map, I can appreciate your 2.5 years of work.

I would echo some of the specifics Hasdrubal brings up. More to the point, I would say now that you have done this Herculean effort of putting all this data together, the road to improvement now lies in simplifying the design which of course is not as simple as it sounds. Simplicity is in fact the result of a lot of complex work.

Your next challenge is to organize all the data which now competes equally for attention into visual layers of information. There is no hard and fast rules for his but I,m sure your obvious passion and knowledge for the subject will guide you. For example ask yourself, as a user of this map what do I want to see first, then what do I want to notice second and so forth...
Congratulations on this impressive undertaking
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

jeffm

jeffm

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hasdrubal: Thanks! The NTS maps you reference do a really good job at having a lot of features but making everything look clean and clear. You made some really good points, and I'll be sure to address them going forward :).

Jean-Louis: Yea, you're absolutely right. I have some ideas forming in my head now. I think one problem is that the background is both dark and light (Depending on the area.) That makes it really hard to choose symbols and colour schemes that look good everywhere. Additionally, a more faded out background falls under the idea that you put forward of visual priority.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Wow! That looks like a lot of work! It look's thorough and detailed although I must concur with the other posters that there might be almost too much information. Great reading when you're at the campsite waiting for dinner to be cooked but maybe not so great when you're lost and it's getting dark.

I read with interest your little note of copyright - something that has never been clear to me with regards to maps.

jeffm

jeffm

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Wow! That looks like a lot of work! It look's thorough and detailed although I must concur with the other posters that there might be almost too much information. Great reading when you're at the campsite waiting for dinner to be cooked but maybe not so great when you're lost and it's getting dark.

I read with interest your little note of copyright - something that has never been clear to me with regards to maps.

Rudy: One thing that I recently learned is that the law regarding copyright is very different in Australia where oddly enough groups of facts are copyrightable.....

In terms of the amount of info, I think it might be possible to have a detailed map that is still quite readable. I look towards the Canadian Govt's NTS maps as an example. I do however have no problem with dropping certain data if there's no way to make it more readable...

Jeff

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

Here are some of the problems:

- The map is a bit over done ...

I'm going to disagree with Hasdrubal's overall critique here about the map having too much detail, though I do agree with a number of the specifics (e.g. about colors and text). As you merely browse this map in a window on your computer screen, you are not using it as it is designed to be used. It is a reference map that is meant to be carried in the field, folded up a reveal just a small portion, squinted at, perhaps read with a magnifier! Reference maps, unlike thematic maps, should reveal more information as you look closer, and that detailed information is what the map is all about. Although a well executed reference map should reveal varying granularity of information depending on how closely you look at it. That's the ideal that we strive for anyway.
Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Great to see another paddling map of the gonq!

I have studied maps of the park, specifically the northern areas very thoroughly through my trips in Algonquin. I too find there is a lack of detail and consistency in the current maps, although that is usually part of the fun.

I have downloaded your map book, and will take it with me on my next trip.. (as soon as the ice melts a bit more)

Looking through my Cartographic eyes, it seems too busy and almost stressful, but after a quick scan, it seems like the the information provided will be helpful. That level of detail will be appreciated by people in the field.

I agree with Pat's outlook, but I do think the map could be "leveled out" a bit, creating a bit more consistency in the design.

I look forward to seeing your revisions on v2!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

jeffm

jeffm

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Great to see another paddling map of the gonq!

I have studied maps of the park, specifically the northern areas very thoroughly through my trips in Algonquin. I too find there is a lack of detail and consistency in the current maps, although that is usually part of the fun.

I have downloaded your map book, and will take it with me on my next trip.. (as soon as the ice melts a bit more)

Looking through my Cartographic eyes, it seems too busy and almost stressful, but after a quick scan, it seems like the the information provided will be helpful. That level of detail will be appreciated by people in the field.

I agree with Pat's outlook, but I do think the map could be "leveled out" a bit, creating a bit more consistency in the design.

I look forward to seeing your revisions on v2!

Greg: Sometimes generalities can be fun, but sometimes not... I've spent a whole bunch of time being confused since lakes were the wrong shape (ie the wrong number of bays,) on the official map...

Yea, I'm going to try and think up a new design.. I'll post it here for further critique when I do. To be honest, this is my third revision - believe me though, the current design is a big improvement :). Of course I know that there is a ways to go, and hence I really appreciate the feedback. Like I said, I'm learning while I go.

Jeffrey

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Jeffrey - 1st, thanks for sharing your hard work with us.
Second, the map is outstanding. quite beautiful and I imagine of real value to hikers/canoers of that area.
I actually like the fonts. Though it was busy, I found it like a treasure map, with lots of hidden features.
Aesthetically, there are quite a few standard templates to follow, or not. As long as the map is accurate
and legible, I think it is well done, though this is sometimes the most challenging aspect.

Who are you using to do the printing?

-Chris

jeffm

jeffm

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Jeffrey - 1st, thanks for sharing your hard work with us.
Second, the map is outstanding. quite beautiful and I imagine of real value to hikers/canoers of that area.
I actually like the fonts. Though it was busy, I found it like a treasure map, with lots of hidden features.
Aesthetically, there are quite a few standard templates to follow, or not. As long as the map is accurate
and legible, I think it is well done, though this is sometimes the most challenging aspect.

Who are you using to do the printing?

-Chris

Some places it's too busy, but that's where I've tried to use a few enlargements.. the problem is that to keep the map at a reasonable physical size I'm forced into using a scale of 1:125000. It's all a tradeoff.

For printing I'm using Imagekind. The trouble of course is finding a printing company that can print at a decent quality on demand.... I got my proof and it looks really nice!

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->