rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Hi All -

I'm looking to purchase a handheld GPS unit. I've had a Magellan Meridian Platinum before but it died so now I'm looking to get a new one. I see that Garmin has come out with a touchscreen series of GPS units in their Oregon series but they are a little too pricey. In fact, it would probably be cheaper (connection fees aside) to get an IPhone to do the same thing with added features. Or can it do the same thing? Does anyone have experience using an IPhone for GPSing trails etc and for geocaching? I'd be keen to hear your feedback.

Aside from that, any recommendations for a good reliable handheld GPS unit that doesn't have a small monochromatic screen?

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

I am managing a zoo of different Garmin eTrex devices as well as some Leica and Trimble mobile GIS devices which my college uses for research projects as well as general GPS courses. Personally I am an owner of an Magellan Meridian Platinum (with a partially broken display, but still serving well).

For handhelds I would always recommend a device with an double helix antenna like the Platinum you used. They deal better with complicated situtations than the patch antenna of the eTrex. I have an Nokia N95 and had an HTC smartphone with patch antennas and they suck for geocaching...

Dunno about the iPhone tough.

I am not so keen about color displays - I have far more trouble reading them in outdoor situations than the monochroamtic ones. But that depends mostly on the available contrast of the display.
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

Matt Adams

Matt Adams

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Canada

Hey,

I haven't used many GPS models, but one that I did particularly enjoy using was from the Garmin GPSMAP series. I see your from Canada so I attached the MEC link for one of the models.

Garmin GPSMAP 60cx

Have a good day,
Matt

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I have the Garmin 60CSX, it's a great handheld, and has brought me through many canoe trips and geocaching adventures.. The main difference between the 60CS and the 60CSX is the digital compass, which is VERY handy when geocaching. The prices have gone down on the 60csx since their newer "Colorado" line has emerged. The Colorado is nice, with some cosmetic features like hill shading and a bit larger screen, but functionally I don't see much a difference.

Oh, I also have the iPhone with the geocaching.com application. It's great to have access to all the caches and descriptions without having to carry around a bunch of print outs, but I still use my Garmin for the GPSing, as the iPhone's accuracy and signal range is fairly weak.
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Oh, I also have the iPhone with the geocaching.com application. It's great to have access to all the caches and descriptions without having to carry around a bunch of print outs, but I still use my Garmin for the GPSing, as the iPhone's accuracy and signal range is fairly weak.

That's what I wanted to know! 2 recommendations for the Garmin 60cx so far. I'll have to check it out.

meeklo

meeklo

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

My favourite is using a WindowsMobile GPS enabled Phone with ArcPAD. But aside from that Garmins. Anyone here ever create or use some of the maps over at http://mapcenter.cgp...m/catalogue.php

There are also some OSM to Garmin(MP/PolishFormat) converters out on the net.

Keith Map Service

Keith Map Service

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Geography, mapping, GIS, Fishing, Outdoors, Mountain Biking
  • United States

I would reccomend the DeLorme PN40. It is an affordable but versatile handheld device. It has a fast processor and capabilities to handle user raster images such as aerial imagery.
Keith Map Service, Inc.
http://keithmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->