rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi all -

Gridiron has come out with some new software called Flow that is available for Mac or PC. It is similar to Adobe Bridge but it appears a little more robust and useful. It will show you what files are linked with what, provide you information on fonts and colours within a file, give you versioning information and track the amount of time you spend on each file. It appears to work not only with graphic files but others as well (e.g. Word and Excel).

I've recently downloaded it and am testing it out now on a PC system. It seemed a little reluctant and slow to install and it takes a long while for it to go through and index all your files but after that it appears to run in the background with little need for attention.

I'd be interested to hear about anyone else's experience using Flow. I've got the Evaluation version - it's a 30 day trial.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Looks very interesting and the pricing is quite decent too. I think I'll wait until I have a suitable small project coming along and then use the demo version to try it out.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

After running Gridiron Flow for about a week I've learned a few things:
  • It is a useful time tracker and will give yuou a break down by the minute of how time you spend on each file. This includes all files - Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, Word, etc.
  • It will also track versions and the file sources (i.e. file copied from another file).
  • It's useful for learning what files are used in what other files and will provide you with handy maps of each file.
  • It is slow to install on a PC and it is slow to catalog everything.
  • It also slows down some applications considerably, notably Acrobat, enough for me to want to uninstall it.
I think it is a great piece of software except that it slows things down so that it interferes with productivity. Perhaps in the next version . . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->