• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

anna_

anna_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,

New to this cartography and mapping thingy. I am not sure what program I am looking for. Can you advice?

Here is what I want to do:

I want to make a map of Sweden, showing roads, cities and perhaps some topography for a nice look, but the infrastructure is the most important aspect. On this map, I want to mark certain cities, and draw transportation routes along the roads between cities. I want to mark some airports and make air-routes as well, but illustrating a road transportation net is the main thing.

Can I use google earth for this, or do I need a more specific program? I prefer free software or a trial version, as this is a short logistics project. The best thing would be if I could import a map of sweden containing the road-net, and then just mark the roads I want along with some end-points.

Help a noob out. =)

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hi all,

New to this cartography and mapping thingy. I am not sure what program I am looking for. Can you advice?

Here is what I want to do:

I want to make a map of Sweden, showing roads, cities and perhaps some topography for a nice look, but the infrastructure is the most important aspect. On this map, I want to mark certain cities, and draw transportation routes along the roads between cities. I want to mark some airports and make air-routes as well, but illustrating a road transportation net is the main thing.

Can I use google earth for this, or do I need a more specific program? I prefer free software or a trial version, as this is a short logistics project. The best thing would be if I could import a map of sweden containing the road-net, and then just mark the roads I want along with some end-points.

Help a noob out. =)

Here check out this topic, all your mapping software needs as far as freebies should be answered here:

http://www.cartotalk...;hl=open source

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Anna,
I recommend Google Earth or somehting like Microsoft mappoint. Many of those open-source applications in the post above i.e GRASS would be overkill. Go simple!

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Assuming you are not creating a detailed street map, or atlas, I would draw it in a drawing program (i.e. Illustrator) - find a good map or maps (hardcopy or digital) and draw your own map from scratch.

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hi, Anna. It sounds like you have an exciting mapping project :D
Are you planning to publish your map on the web, in a digital format (pdf etc) or with hard copy (paper)?

My mapping projects usually involve producing paper maps and now I am getting involved in making maps for web pages (like Flash maps). So... I now use the combination of Adobe Illustrator and MAPublisher... I like the tools in Adobe Illustrator... then I usually use some GIS data when creating maps. MAPublisher will allow to import GIS datasets to Adobe Illustrator... then we can play all the graphics in Adobe Illustrator. Then if I need to make a web map, I can use MAP web author tool with MAPublisher.

I use other softwares (like ArcGIS and Idrisi) at work when I have to deal with some analysis (such as geo-spatial statistics and some spatial interpolation (like creating contour lines or reclassifying some images).

If I do not have to analyses data, I usually stick with Adobe Illustrator and MAPublisher.... I believe both have the trial version if you wish to take a look at them :)

It is my experience.... but I hope this helps you a bit :)

Good luck, Anna!
Kay

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hej Anna (Swedish?)
I would strongly suggest buying an existing map, or buying the service. Preparing this may not be as easy/obvious as you might think - with learning new software, and converting or buying data (or searching for free data)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Maptitude

Maptitude

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

The Maptitude mapping software has world mapping capabilities for Sweden that may well meet your needs:

http://www.caliper.c...ing/default.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->