• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

anna_

anna_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,

New to this cartography and mapping thingy. I am not sure what program I am looking for. Can you advice?

Here is what I want to do:

I want to make a map of Sweden, showing roads, cities and perhaps some topography for a nice look, but the infrastructure is the most important aspect. On this map, I want to mark certain cities, and draw transportation routes along the roads between cities. I want to mark some airports and make air-routes as well, but illustrating a road transportation net is the main thing.

Can I use google earth for this, or do I need a more specific program? I prefer free software or a trial version, as this is a short logistics project. The best thing would be if I could import a map of sweden containing the road-net, and then just mark the roads I want along with some end-points.

Help a noob out. =)

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hi all,

New to this cartography and mapping thingy. I am not sure what program I am looking for. Can you advice?

Here is what I want to do:

I want to make a map of Sweden, showing roads, cities and perhaps some topography for a nice look, but the infrastructure is the most important aspect. On this map, I want to mark certain cities, and draw transportation routes along the roads between cities. I want to mark some airports and make air-routes as well, but illustrating a road transportation net is the main thing.

Can I use google earth for this, or do I need a more specific program? I prefer free software or a trial version, as this is a short logistics project. The best thing would be if I could import a map of sweden containing the road-net, and then just mark the roads I want along with some end-points.

Help a noob out. =)

Here check out this topic, all your mapping software needs as far as freebies should be answered here:

http://www.cartotalk...;hl=open source
"Abbas of novus versus"

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Anna,
I recommend Google Earth or somehting like Microsoft mappoint. Many of those open-source applications in the post above i.e GRASS would be overkill. Go simple!

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Assuming you are not creating a detailed street map, or atlas, I would draw it in a drawing program (i.e. Illustrator) - find a good map or maps (hardcopy or digital) and draw your own map from scratch.

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hi, Anna. It sounds like you have an exciting mapping project :D
Are you planning to publish your map on the web, in a digital format (pdf etc) or with hard copy (paper)?

My mapping projects usually involve producing paper maps and now I am getting involved in making maps for web pages (like Flash maps). So... I now use the combination of Adobe Illustrator and MAPublisher... I like the tools in Adobe Illustrator... then I usually use some GIS data when creating maps. MAPublisher will allow to import GIS datasets to Adobe Illustrator... then we can play all the graphics in Adobe Illustrator. Then if I need to make a web map, I can use MAP web author tool with MAPublisher.

I use other softwares (like ArcGIS and Idrisi) at work when I have to deal with some analysis (such as geo-spatial statistics and some spatial interpolation (like creating contour lines or reclassifying some images).

If I do not have to analyses data, I usually stick with Adobe Illustrator and MAPublisher.... I believe both have the trial version if you wish to take a look at them :)

It is my experience.... but I hope this helps you a bit :)

Good luck, Anna!
Kay

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hej Anna (Swedish?)
I would strongly suggest buying an existing map, or buying the service. Preparing this may not be as easy/obvious as you might think - with learning new software, and converting or buying data (or searching for free data)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Maptitude

Maptitude

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

The Maptitude mapping software has world mapping capabilities for Sweden that may well meet your needs:

http://www.caliper.c...ing/default.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->