kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:wine, women and song
  • Norway

...to save on money with individual marketing and advertising, four of the Stavanger venues came together in a joint venture. One price, one product, neat and tidy, done and dusted by a cartographer.

Recession= smart people meet the challenge. They enjoy change and find ways of adapting to make it work for them.

Check it out her: Venues

Uses:
- Web
- Print [see V-Map here]
- Poster
- Pocket Map
- Venue Program

Steadfast is the word.

All the best,
Kevin Paul
Stavanger Guide Maps Norway

Posted Image

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I like the overall aesthetics of this project, very crisp, nice palette.

Maybe it's due to a language barrier, but the message is not entirely clear to me.

The buildings are so large that they span over three or four city blocks. Where are they actually located?

I assume the black and white point symbols are their actual location, but they are not consistent with the labels, so it is a bit hard to decipher.

Also, if the intention of the map is to assist in locating these venues, should there not be at least a few major road names?

I hope I'm not being too critical!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

I like the overall aesthetics of this project, very crisp, nice palette.

Maybe it's due to a language barrier, but the message is not entirely clear to me.

The buildings are so large that they span over three or four city blocks. Where are they actually located?

I assume the black and white point symbols are their actual location, but they are not consistent with the labels, so it is a bit hard to decipher.

Also, if the intention of the map is to assist in locating these venues, should there not be at least a few major road names?

I hope I'm not being too critical!

Hi Greg and thanks for your feedback,

Stavanger is the 2 min. town. You can almost spit between each location. Buildings are enlarged because there's not much in between them and the client wants the fasade visible for marketing/recognition purposes. All major Street names are marked with the black arrows.

Feedback is the breakfast of champions!
Thanks for taking your time to respond, much appreciated. I'll keep in mind all your valuable comments.

Best wishes,
Kevin Paul
Stavanger Guide Maps

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Great map! So this was a map made for / paid for by multiple, non competing, merchants?

Very Norske, got to have a fiske store on every map! :P

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

Great map! So this was a map made for / paid for by multiple, non competing, merchants?

Very Norske, got to have a fiske store on every map! :P

Thanks Davis, California,

...you got it in one!
Bob Marley was also spot-on: Let's get together and feel all right.
(Bob Marley - Legend 1984) - Bless im

Weekend's approaching - got yer 6 pack ready?

pingting

pingting

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United Kingdom

I really like this! Being Norwegian myself, I dare to say that I also think pepople there will appreciate this! It is clear and understandable, and I like the way colour is used to enhance certain features. And I love the little fish symbol!

One point I would like to make is that the use of capital letters (in the beginning ow words) seems a bit random. Leaving it out capital first letters can work nicely if it's done consistently. (I don't know why, but that seems quite modern and trendy to me?) However, in this map, especially in the adresses, some words have a capital letter, some don't. There are also a few cases of this on the map.

Good job! :lol:

Nicholas Tallant

Nicholas Tallant

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Very Nice Map.

What is a fiske store?

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

I really like this! Being Norwegian myself, I dare to say that I also think pepople there will appreciate this! It is clear and understandable, and I like the way colour is used to enhance certain features. And I love the little fish symbol!

One point I would like to make is that the use of capital letters (in the beginning ow words) seems a bit random. Leaving it out capital first letters can work nicely if it's done consistently. (I don't know why, but that seems quite modern and trendy to me?) However, in this map, especially in the adresses, some words have a capital letter, some don't. There are also a few cases of this on the map.

Good job! :lol:

Hi pingting and thanks for your feedback,

Sorry About The Variations on the Upper lower case text, forgot to administer the medication when doodling this particular map. Also had a few problems with the little Dog (Shouting: “CEMENTEN”) all through the process.

Take care and thanks once again for taking the time to comment.

Best wishes,
Kevin Paul

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

Very Nice Map.

What is a fiske store?

Hi Nicholas,

Fiske store= Fish Hall/Shop/Market. Very popular in Norway! Bergen has one of the finest Fish markets in Scandinavia.

Take care and thanks for taking the time to comment/ask.

Best wishes,
Kevin Paul

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

I like how clean the map looks. It allows the reader to not be distracted with any information other than the key features on the map AND the roads that get you there. It's a good reminder of the importance of simplicity in good composition and design. My only comment is that a scale bar and north arrow would be a helpful addition for the mapreader, especially because at first glance it seems like a thriving metropolis! :)

Thanks for sharing!
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

I like how clean the map looks. It allows the reader to not be distracted with any information other than the key features on the map AND the roads that get you there. It's a good reminder of the importance of simplicity in good composition and design. My only comment is that a scale bar and north arrow would be a helpful addition for the mapreader, especially because at first glance it seems like a thriving metropolis! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Analisa and thank you very much for your feedback,

How right you are about simplicity, and how easy it is for many of us to forget about this vital aspect again and again. How easy it is for one to fall into the trap of over tweaking. I recently took a look at some old projects from ten years ago, how clean and crisp they were, it was both a shock and a wake up call to me to see some clear uncluttered material.

This particular project has given me plenty of food for thought.
It’s time for me to drop tools for a while and read some Kurt Vonnegut.

Wish you well in your endeavors,
Kevin Paul
Stavanger Guide Maps

Btw. Scale Bar & North Arrow is on full version, but you reminded me that I do need an inset with country outline and city marker/locator for Stavanger. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->