• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I believe the issue here is more Microsoft or ESRI's handling of fonts and fontnames and realise the Adobe way of handling all this seems much better at this type of thing but maybe some will be able to shed some light here — even if just removing the faux-italic from Garamond Bold Italic once it's in Illustrator. Or should that now be Garamond Bold Italic Oblique. Posted Image

We are having some issues with getting correct fonts from ArcMap. Arc handles font selection in the Microsoft office (as oposed to Adobe) style—buttons for bold and italic and separate font entries for say light and bold. To get a semi bold (if in the font) you either select light and the bold button or the regular and the bold button.

PDF attached for anyone interested of the fonts on-screen appearance in ArcMap (screenshots) and in Illustrator after after export to Ai from ArcMap. Font windows (screenshots) for these fonts in both applications are shown.

If we open up a fresh instance of Illustrator the typeface appear correctly on screen and in the font window.

If we the open FontTest.ai (an old version of Ai—8 I believe) generated by ArcMap each font of the typeface appears on a separate line in the font chooser with the weight (and italic if italic) in both the typeface (top) and the font (bottom) panel of the Illustrator font window.

If we then close the document and create a new Illustrator document the fonts are still viewing incorrectly as above in the Illustrator font window.

If we close and open a new instance of Illustrator the fonts are back to normal.

Now the interesting bit. If we save the file FontTest.ai as a cs3 version and open this in our fresh instance of Illustrator the fonts are back to how they should be. Problem fixed except the faux-italic on the bold italic is still applied.

I decided to test in OpenOffice but that caused more (worse) problems. Will test in Word when I get to work.

Attached Files

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • United States

I have no idea - sorry. But my eyes are definitely hurting from that blurred text!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I agree with Gretchen, is there any way that you could increase the DPI of the text samples out of ArcMap?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

I agree with Gretchen, is there any way that you could increase the DPI of the text samples out of ArcMap?

When saving a mxd file as PDF, there is an option to change the resolution though... I wonder if it helps...

Hasdrubal... I have a question... have you compared the difference on the printed version? I mean the one printed from MXD.. and from AI file...

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi guys,

Sorry for my slow reply as well as this issue I've had another bigger problem to deal with.

So the pixelated text was a screenshot from ArcMap pasted into the exported Ai file to show that in most cases both pieces of software were using the same font and getting the same result except in the case of Garamond Bold Italic which was resulting in a false italic being when it was in Illustrator which could not be got rid of. Hugo had a similar issue back in this thread with some text fom freehand.
  • http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showtopic=1305&hl=faux+italic
We have spoken to a few font people and as we are not using the Bold Italic font so are going to proceed and get a RIP proof from the printer and I think we should be ok. It's just a bit startnge that we get the odd Typeface and Font names in the Illy character panel but after a save it goes back to normal.

I'll def post any updates to what we find here.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Just Garamond or other OpenType fonts? Maybe re-install Garamond?

Impossible

Impossible

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

When saving a mxd file as PDF, there is an option to change the resolution though... I wonder if it helps...

Hasdrubal... I have a question... have you compared the difference on the printed version? I mean the one printed from MXD.. and from AI file...

Did you ever find a way to change the Buy to Let at all or is that just something that is impossible to do?? I hope that you have found a way to do it.

I await your response :)

Edited by Impossible, 08 September 2011 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->