We are having some issues with getting correct fonts from ArcMap. Arc handles font selection in the Microsoft office (as oposed to Adobe) style—buttons for bold and italic and separate font entries for say light and bold. To get a semi bold (if in the font) you either select light and the bold button or the regular and the bold button.
PDF attached for anyone interested of the fonts on-screen appearance in ArcMap (screenshots) and in Illustrator after after export to Ai from ArcMap. Font windows (screenshots) for these fonts in both applications are shown.
If we open up a fresh instance of Illustrator the typeface appear correctly on screen and in the font window.
If we the open FontTest.ai (an old version of Ai—8 I believe) generated by ArcMap each font of the typeface appears on a separate line in the font chooser with the weight (and italic if italic) in both the typeface (top) and the font (bottom) panel of the Illustrator font window.
If we then close the document and create a new Illustrator document the fonts are still viewing incorrectly as above in the Illustrator font window.
If we close and open a new instance of Illustrator the fonts are back to normal.
Now the interesting bit. If we save the file FontTest.ai as a cs3 version and open this in our fresh instance of Illustrator the fonts are back to how they should be. Problem fixed except the faux-italic on the bold italic is still applied.
I decided to test in OpenOffice but that caused more (worse) problems. Will test in Word when I get to work.