• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

GlossopJohn

GlossopJohn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have a PDF, created with ArcGIS 9.3, that contains object data (3 attributes for each object brought over from ArcGIS). I am hoping to export to Illustrator and preserve the attribute data (or at least 1 attribute, the name of each polygon), as object names I guess, in AI. If I simply open the PDF in AI, each object just has the name <path>. Any ideas if this is possible? I know of Mapublisher, and may resort to buying that, it is just a little expensive for what might be a one-off need, so i'm seeing if I can do it with software I already own first.
Thanks
John

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

John,
It isn't possible to preserve attributes exporting to Illustrator. ArcMap 9.3 allows you to include attributes in a PDF and thats it. To do this in Illustrator you need Mapublisher. If this is a one-time deal, you could probably find someone on here to do it for you...or you could download the MP trial and see if it does what you need it to.

GlossopJohn

GlossopJohn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice E.LeFevre. I've downloaded the mapublisher trial - that allows me to see attribute data in the 'Map attributes' window in Illustrator (CS2)- but I can't see how to change the name of each polygon (path) from <path> to an attribute value.
Thanks again for your help
John

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

John,

I believe what you are referring to as an attribute in Illustrator is not the same as an attribute in a GIS program. It is simply what Illustrator identifies it as being in the layer palette. Even MAPublisher won't do that, it will retain the attributes within the plug-in and you can use that for labeling and other GIS processes but not what it appears you are trying to accomplish. At least not in my experience.
Rick Dey

GlossopJohn

GlossopJohn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

Rick
OK, I see, many thanks for your help
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users