Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Greece

Hello all,
this is a portion of a map i have been working for recreational and leisure use for Kythera island in Greece.
Tell me your honest opinion and suggstions please.
Andreas

Attached Files

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hello all,
this is a portion of a map i have been working for recreational and leisure use for Kythera island in Greece.
Andreas

Very nice Andreas
I would suggest you choose more desasturated or muted colors to replace your green and yellow lines which are a little too screamy. especially since the yellow line blends in with the yellow spots
Faristo (hope I spelled that right)
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Greece

Hello all,
Andreas

Very nice Andreas
I would suggest you choose more desasturated or muted colors to replace your green and yellow lines which are a little too screamy. especially since the yellow line blends in with the yellow spots
Faristo (hope I spelled that right)

Ευχαριστώ mate!!
The thing is that these are the RGB values, and the conversion to CMYK, changes the saturation quite a lot, especially for the greens.
It is supposed to be a castle and a secured canyoning route, between waterfalls, in this screenshot..
Also I have to compromise a lot with the annotation locations.
Anything else ?
Merci

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • United States

Nice! Makes me want to go there! :D
Looks like you did a very good job with the bilingual (and bi-alphabetical! if there is such a word...) labels.
The bright colors would've been my only criticism, too. I expect the green especially will change quite a bit when it goes to cmyk.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

rajesh2911

rajesh2911

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • India

Good work. I would suggest to use lighter colour for street fill. All the best.

www.designatpeace.com
rajesh@designatpeace.com
info@designatpeace.com

Nickpap889

Nickpap889

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Greece

Φιλε ωραιος ειναι ο χαρτης.
Μπορεις σε παρακαλω να μου πεις τι συμβολιζεις με τους κιτρινους ογκους και αν ειναι λιμανι το εντονο μπλε σε 2 παραθαλασσια μεροι του χαρτη σου?
Οσο για τα χρωματα μονο το πρασινο βρισκω λιγο περιττο.Ισως ενα πορτοκαλι??Τι λες?

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • United States

Are all the streams intermittent or are they year-round? The reason I ask is that I usually think of dashed blue lines as indicating streams that are ephemeral as opposed to year-round. I might make them solid blue lines if the latter.

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Greece

Μπορεις σε παρακαλω να μου πεις τι συμβολιζεις με τους κιτρινους ογκους και αν ειναι λιμανι το εντονο μπλε σε 2 παραθαλασσια μεροι του χαρτη σου?
Οσο για τα χρωματα μονο το πρασινο βρισκω λιγο περιττο.Ισως ενα πορτοκαλι??Τι λες?

The yellow areas show basically the built up villages and hamlets with the placenames.
The dark blue outline on the coastline shows pebbled beaches, the sandies are shown with lighter blue.
The green offset outline of the road, shows a scenic route. it is not a dominant feature on the whole map.
Actually nick the orange ouline will show the mountain bike routes.nice thought mate
Have to say the on the printout the colors are shown much much more desaturated.
Nice thought φίλε..
Ευχαριστώ πολύ...

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Greece

Are all the streams intermittent or are they year-round? The reason I ask is that I usually think of dashed blue lines as indicating streams that are ephemeral as opposed to year-round. I might make them solid blue lines if the latter.

They are not (as far as as I know) all year round, Gretchen.
Thanks for noticing that.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Eh... in English please? :huh:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • United States

That was all Greek to me. :lol:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Although I am not familiar with the geography in this area, I think your BUA fills (Built Up Area) need a bit more detail,
Posted Image
They have sort of a kidney bean effect going on which gives me the impression that the map is not accurate.
If you wanted to generalize the BUAs, you could possibly make them a point symbol?

Your Wagon Wheel symbol looks a bit too low res or hand drawn compared to the nice crisp typography.
Posted Image

Also, I'd like to know what this brown blob is, it looks very "paint brushed" in, Try something more consistant with the rest of your symbology?
Posted Image
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Careful there.....
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Greece

Careful there.....

Sorry guys about Nick,
he just said:
''That is a nice map mate.
Could you please explain what do you want to show with the yellow areas?
Is the dark blue outline on the seaside indication of a port?
As for the colors, I find the greens a bit out of need. What about some orange maybe? What do you think?''

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Andreas,

Nice map! It looks like there is a carabiner on the map that is hollow - you might give that a fill so it stands out a bit more. Also, with respect to the distances - I think for fractional lengths you might want to use a period instead of a comma.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->