• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi!

I'm digitizing anything that I can see (including polygons for 300 km of roads!!) on a 1m resolution raster covering 1,246 sq. km at a 1:4,000 scale. I have 8 categories of features, and about a dozen reference layer that I need to have "on" every time, so I know I have a lot of stuff to display.

I also use the Smooth tool in the Editor Toolbar for almost everything (my client like round corners).

To increase me editing speed, I put everything in a file geodatabase (I had several crashes when using shapefiles) and it has the advantage of keeping the smooth line instead of adding vertices every time I save.

But now, when I had a new vertice, it takes about 5 sec. for it to display. I think maybe it's because of all the curve that are kept, but I'm not sure.

Do you have any idea how I could "regain" the editing speed I had?

Thanks!

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Hi!

I'm digitizing anything that I can see (including polygons for 300 km of roads!!) on a 1m resolution raster covering 1,246 sq. km at a 1:4,000 scale. I have 8 categories of features, and about a dozen reference layer that I need to have "on" every time, so I know I have a lot of stuff to display.

I also use the Smooth tool in the Editor Toolbar for almost everything (my client like round corners).

To increase me editing speed, I put everything in a file geodatabase (I had several crashes when using shapefiles) and it has the advantage of keeping the smooth line instead of adding vertices every time I save.

But now, when I had a new vertice, it takes about 5 sec. for it to display. I think maybe it's because of all the curve that are kept, but I'm not sure.

Do you have any idea how I could "regain" the editing speed I had?

Thanks!

Hi François!

Maybe the slowdown may be caused because every time you edit the vertices, the ArcMap reloads the raster image. So, I recommend you to make the "pyramids" for the raster, or clip the image in several parts.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Actually, the raster isn't that long to load because when I'm digitizing, I already are at the extent I need so I don't reload every time.

It got a little better. I change my symbology, remove any transparency or fancy symbol, put what I could directly on my desktop, ... Still don't know why it's so slow since last week it was ok...

Thanks Raphael

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Actually, the raster isn't that long to load because when I'm digitizing, I already are at the extent I need so I don't reload every time.

It got a little better. I change my symbology, remove any transparency or fancy symbol, put what I could directly on my desktop, ... Still don't know why it's so slow since last week it was ok...

Thanks Raphael

Did you try "Repair geometry", and make (or remake) spatial and attributes indexes?

R Saldanha

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

This may sound silly... when was the last time you restarted your machine. Usually seems to work for me.
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

This may sound silly... when was the last time you restarted your machine. Usually seems to work for me.

Not silly at all! :P We have to keep our computer open 24/7 for updates and backups.

I tried that too.

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Not silly at all! :P We have to keep our computer open 24/7 for updates and backups.

I tried that too.

Have you clear out the temp or tmp files ? That may be why your ArcMap runs slow ??? I always add C:\tmp as for the
temp files to be delete daily. You can set the C:\tmp folder.

Good Luck

Robert :D

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Not sure if this will help, but have you tried compacting the gdb?
In ArcCatalog right-click on the gdb in the left-hand tree view and select Compact Database from the context menu.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Thanks guys!

I don't know why, but it looks like my computer needed vacation... ;) After the week-end, it worked fine (we have to keep our computers open 24/7 for backups so it hasn't slept for two days...)

If it start again to be slow, I've made a checklist of your suggestions so that's gonna be the first thing I try...

Thanks again!

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Francois,

There are some editor settings that slow things down, for instance do you have snapping on for several layers? You described being in the mode of capturing many kinds of features at once--I find that workflow difficult to manage (and slower) because each kind of feature has some special needs with respect to snapping or some required base reference layer. I would suggest capturing one layer at a time, starting with those closest to the ground, e.g., hydro, then transportation, then cultural & boundary features.

I'm also suspicious of smoothed features in terms of the snapping environment, like snapping to edge, being very expensive.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • United States

I had this same problem in 9.3 recently when digitizing 1 meter imagery into an impervious surface dataset. I had to shut down and restart ArcMap in order to regain the speed as I recall. I also wound up very supersticious and wouldn't change any other settings as I felt that made it slow down again (and thus need another restart). :)

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Francois,

There are some editor settings that slow things down, for instance do you have snapping on for several layers? You described being in the mode of capturing many kinds of features at once--I find that workflow difficult to manage (and slower) because each kind of feature has some special needs with respect to snapping or some required base reference layer. I would suggest capturing one layer at a time, starting with those closest to the ground, e.g., hydro, then transportation, then cultural & boundary features.

I'm also suspicious of smoothed features in terms of the snapping environment, like snapping to edge, being very expensive.

I don't really have the choice about the snapping. It's often contiguous surfaces so it's the safest way to be sure the boundaries are the same. As for the digitizing, I started by doing one feature after the other (deforested areas, quarries, "waste" deposits, roads) following the clients plans (projected areas for those features), but in the end, I still have to "scan" the rest of the map to see if there's not an exploited areas that wasn't supposed to be (and there's a lot of that).

As for the smoothing, I did it because our client, his clients, my boss and my supervisor all have different views and need. The client want a 1:20,000 map, so my supervisor told me to digitize at a 1:4,000 scale (that would help to have smoother lines), but when my boss is checking my work, she zoom all the way to the feature (at 1:1,000-1:2,000) and find my lines to "rough". So by smoothing my lines digitized at 1:4,000 scale, that gave her the smooth line she want and helps me, in theory, to do my job faster. So, it's basically because I'm struck between those three... That's life, but that makes my work a lot harder and longer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->