- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

MapLaTerre

MapLaTerre

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Running, hot yoga, nutrition, travelling, my dog, family and friends.
  • Canada

I've looked high and low in the acedemic literature for a definition of "cartographic analysis" with no avail. Many journal articles discuss conducting this type of analysis but do not define it. An example of this is a paper by Rossum and Lavin (2000) entitled "Where are the Great Plains? A cartographic analysis": the authors say they conducted a cartographic analysis but never describe exactly what this meant/entails. Furthermore, it seems that the term is used on a case by case basis. Help needed! There must be a good definition out there somewhere, I just can't find it!

Thanks in advance!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Why does there have to be a clear definition?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

There are individuals that need a clear explanation in order to process the information correctly, you see not everyone's brain works like that. But it doesn't make them dumb, it just means they learn differently.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

MapLaTerre

MapLaTerre

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Running, hot yoga, nutrition, travelling, my dog, family and friends.
  • Canada

Is there ever really a clear definition for anything?.......philosophy was never really my thing.......

I'm looking to support and justify using cartographic analysis in my research. Therefore, I'm looking for supportive background literature. A term like "cartographic analysis" requires a definition in my thesis because it is field-specific and a crucial part of my research. Perhapse I should re-word my request for a point in the right direction to an "all encompassing defintion". :lol:

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Isn't it a fancy way of saying: "we looked at existing maps"?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I've looked high and low in the acedemic literature for a definition of "cartographic analysis" with no avail. Many journal articles discuss conducting this type of analysis but do not define it. An example of this is a paper by Rossum and Lavin (2000) entitled "Where are the Great Plains? A cartographic analysis": the authors say they conducted a cartographic analysis but never describe exactly what this meant/entails. Furthermore, it seems that the term is used on a case by case basis. Help needed! There must be a good definition out there somewhere, I just can't find it!

Thanks in advance!

How about drafting a rough definition on what you think it means? In my mind, 'cartographic analysis' means, 'using a map'.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

In my mind "cartographic analysis" would entail very closely examining multiple maps and the cartographic constructs (elements) the cartographers used. This could entail scale, extent, figure-ground, colors, font choice, symbolization, etc.

I would use that term to also infer a 'cartographic review' (like a literary review), to include all the maps published during a certain time. Such that you could say "Carl Wheat performed an extensive cartographic analysis of Western American maps produced from 1540 to 1861."

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

One-off definitions are defined by their context, so you might email or phone the author and ask him/her.

IMHO, cartographic analysis refers to a study and analysis of maps, a geographic and cartographic study of maps of similar theme, not to be confused with 'spatial analysis'.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Matthew's definition sounds like the proper 'purist' use of the term one but I think it usually means just what Hans said. It could also mean evaluating an area as a mapping subject.
In fact , I think I will start using it myself on my invoices.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

MapLaTerre

MapLaTerre

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

I guess I would suggest that 'cartographic analysis' involves looking critically at map effectiveness and veracity. At the same, this could include an analysis of a series of maps or a single map.

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

I think what the OP meant was more like what is covered in the academic lit under Map Use/Map Interpretation/ Map Analysis:

MUEHRCKE, P.C & MUEHRCKE, J.O. (1992): Map Use. Reading, Analysis, Interpretation, Madison.

Most larger libraries should have a copy, IIRC there´s a newer edition.

As a scientific method, the analysis of existing maps has a strong tradition, especially in Geography, Geomorphology and the likes. There surely is a book like this in English:

Posted Image

The title reads: Encyclopedia for the classification of the ~orography (literally forms of the landscape, including land use/land cover) with topographic maps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->