4 replies to this topic

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Does anyone have a good online resource for a quick brushing up on GIS?
I have been working with Illustrator for quite a while now, and my GIS has become foggy.

I saw the book "GIS for Dummies" on here a while back, is it available yet?

I may be working with land administration and park tenure, maintaining (and possibly creating) a geodatabase within a new role I am considering. (if I can refresh my GIS in time)

I have Chang's "Introduction to Geographic Information System", but I'm looking for something a bit less dry and boring :ph34r:

Thanks for any help!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Unless you want black market material you are stuck buying these books if you want a good source of material, for one you can buy a book specifically towards designing a geodatabase at:
http://www.amazon.ca...n/dp/1879102625

Or as requested GIS for Dummies: http://www.amazon.ca...N...6908&sr=1-1
It will cost under $50.00 to get these books if your willing to wait. However if these books are not what you are looking for Amazon sells plenty of other GIS material.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

Does anyone have a good online resource for a quick brushing up on GIS?

The IGU Commission on GIS has a useful list of tutorials linked, ranging from conceptual to technical, depending on how you define "brushing up."

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

If you are using ArcGIS and would like a more how to GIS refresher, then I would recommend the ESRI Training site for online courses (http://training.esri.com).

If you want more of a conceptual GIS book, then I would recommend GIS Fundamentals, 3rd Edition by Paul Bolstad. It is a good intro book without the typical high price. I have not read the GIS for Dummies book, but I know that from an intro to GIS standpoint the Bolstad book is better than Demers' "Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems" book.

As a GIS Instructor at the local community college I have used a wide variety of text books (Clarke, Chang, Demers, Bolstad) and lab materials (Getting to Know ArcGIS, ESRI Training site, GIS Tutorial) and the above is still my preferred books/tutorials.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I couldn't resist to pre-buy GIS for Dummies last August. Just received it last week. Cost me 13$ (roughly 20 with H&S). I wouldn't have paid 30$ for it because I'm in GIS so it's too basic for my everyday needs.

It's OK, but all the example and tools are ArcGIS. I'm a Arc user so I don't complain, but for something aimed at everybody, I wouldn't have used the most expensive (maybe the most advanced too, but I don't want to restart that debate) on the market.

For someone who just want a quick look at GIS possibilities and "extent", it's good, but it makes it impossible for them to try.

Personnaly, I would have use QGis of another OpenSource GIS for that purpose.

For geodatabase design, I like Designing Geodatabases: Case Studies in GIS Data Modeling, also available, almost in full, on Google Books. The Chapter 5 is dedicated to parcel and cadastre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->