• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

After some hard decisions with the gradient project I made the final decision on how it was to be designed & the good news is that the client was satisified, so here is the final result of one of the the regional maps.

Attached File  NorthAmerica.jpg   133.93KB   247 downloads

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Ditch the north arrow. You're using a conic projection so the angle of true north differs by longitude (and at that position, the north arrow is definately not pointing north). In fact, I would argue there's no immediate need for a north arrow, scale bar or projection information on this particular map.

Is this the final resolution? What's the output media? On my screen at this resolution, the text is unreadable. It could do with some beefing up.

Legend title speaks about "resellers", legend entries themselves and the table list "distributors" instead.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I agree with Hans 100%. However, I would use the word 'definitely' don't need a scale, projection, or north arrow. I would also drop the word 'map' from the title.

Might want to consider an inset for Anchorage, that is an awful lot of wasted space for 3-4 trainers. However, if you need to include all of Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut then I would make sure to place my title and legend in that dead area to conserve space. Although, I still think that it would be better to just crop-off all that fluff, the point of the map is your data.

Another thing that you may want to consider is to get rid (or dropping real low in the visual hierarchy) of the state and territory borders. You're mapping point/city data and it is more important to me to be able to read the city labels vs. seeing state borders.

Hope this helps,

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

a suggestion that would apply to anybody who does US-Canada maps.

Though it does wound our pride to admit it, Canadian locations is basically just a thin line of population along the US Border. I always compress that big empty northern part to about a third its size. This enables you to have much more space, focus and therefore legibilty for the dense eastern part. The compression is easy to do even in a straight map and looks like perspective...and the Inuit seldom complain.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I don't mean to wound anybody's pride. I just want to see the data, and these are point data, not areal data.

I've attached several older maps to show you what I was referring to earlier. I just don't have an inset of Alaska.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I'm probably just being picky, but North America usually includes Mexico.
Rick Dey

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Ditch the north arrow. You're using a conic projection so the angle of true north differs by longitude (and at that position, the north arrow is definately not pointing north).

Yes I noticed that after comparing the north islands there is a slant roughly 5-20° difference, so I dumped the north arrow. Also this is my first thematic map in 6 years since I last produced them with an atlas project back in school in 2003.

In fact, I would argue there's no immediate need for a north arrow, scale bar or projection information on this particular map.

They were only fillers because of the amount of white space. Although there is still a lot of white space based on the information I was able to get I've done at least my opinion the best that I could work with.

Is this the final resolution? What's the output media? On my screen at this resolution, the text is unreadable. It could do with some beefing up.

It was 5pt text as suggested by the majority of this site to use for the lowest. My preference for the lowest is 6pt although I didn't use it but with the suggestions here I beefed it up accordingly, though based on the amount of space available some text was deleted.

Legend title speaks about "resellers", legend entries themselves and the table list "distributors" instead.

Though the client has made his changes already & I've already been paid for my work I am still applying changes for the sake of my portfolio therefore I changed distributors to resellers.

I would also drop the word 'map' from the title.

North American Trainers & Resellers

Might want to consider an inset for Anchorage, that is an awful lot of wasted space for 3-4 trainers. However, if you need to include all of Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut then I would make sure to place my title and legend in that dead area to conserve space. Although, I still think that it would be better to just crop-off all that fluff, the point of the map is your data.

I'll certainly take that into consideration

Another thing that you may want to consider is to get rid (or dropping real low in the visual hierarchy) of the state and territory borders. You're mapping point/city data and it is more important to me to be able to read the city labels vs. seeing state borders.

Agreed but the client wanted the borders to show exactly like that.

Though it does wound our pride to admit it, Canadian locations is basically just a thin line of population along the US Border. I always compress that big empty northern part to about a third its size. This enables you to have much more space, focus and therefore legibilty for the dense eastern part.

It doesn't hurt my pride to admit that because frankly I'm a patriot & not a nationalist. And when one thinks about it I've already left Hong Kong out from the south east Asia out therefore I might just go with the idea of showing southern Canada lumped in with the United States without showing a key map of Anchorage.

I'm probably just being picky, but North America usually includes Mexico.

Technically speaking yes but there is no data for Mexico so that doesn't show up, but thena gain I could have shown the ocean, chose not to, Hawaii was also not included, & in the revision for the sake of the portfolio I may not include Alaska.

BTW "former cartographer" hold your head high & just call yourself a cartographer. Because you know what you are, & you know what you must do, & yes times are hard but there are still contracts to win.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

You have 3 separate pieces of information, title, summation and legend, kind of each off on their own. I would consider combining them into one integrated block of information.
I wouldn't worry about trying to fill white space. White space is fine. I would rather try to create a balanced design that flows well.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

In addition to the other comments, I really think you should include Mexico if your calling the map "North America".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->