- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

georgew

georgew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi, I have a large map in shapefile format I would like to split into multiple shapefiles, each representing a few square kilometers of the input map. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to achieve this.? I have access to ArcGis Info 9.3.

Manually slitting the input is not an option given the large number of output files expected.

Many thanks for your help,

George

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Hi George,
while I dont have the exact terminology in front of me, it should be a simple grid overlay and then clip to that grid. The sq km size of the grid will just be whatever size you wish the resulting splits to be. By the way, do you have a map comprised of many separate shp files, or all layers of the map compiled as one shp? Your ArcToolbox will be able to guide you through the grid generation and clip process. Hope this helps....
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

Tim Stallmann

Tim Stallmann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

This is maybe only tangentially related, but does anyone know how to do multi-page layouts in ArcGIS? Or automate the process of printing off a number of inset maps (each numbered with its own legend/etc.) from one large dataset?

sara.m.

sara.m.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

This is maybe only tangentially related, but does anyone know how to do multi-page layouts in ArcGIS? Or automate the process of printing off a number of inset maps (each numbered with its own legend/etc.) from one large dataset?

You can purchase MapLogic Layout Manager, an ArcGIS extension specifically designed for this purpose.
http://www.maplogic....outManager.html

I used it during a trial period, and found it to be more than I needed for my purposes, but fairly easy to use.

georgew

georgew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi George,
while I dont have the exact terminology in front of me, it should be a simple grid overlay and then clip to that grid. The sq km size of the grid will just be whatever size you wish the resulting splits to be. By the way, do you have a map comprised of many separate shp files, or all layers of the map compiled as one shp? Your ArcToolbox will be able to guide you through the grid generation and clip process. Hope this helps....

Thank you Brandon, what you suggests sounds just right, however I have not been able to find any grid creation tool in my Toolbox or in the help files. Any suggestion where I might be able to find it?

sjonni11

sjonni11

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:soccer,maps, outdoors
  • Australia

Hi George,

Thank you Brandon, what you suggests sounds just right, however I have not been able to find any grid creation tool in my Toolbox or in the help files. Any suggestion where I might be able to find it?

Hi George,

Take a look at the Mapbook which is a toolbox add-on in Arc. You can create grids for area but also along objects. It can then generate layouts for each grid where you can assign header, date etc in the layout. I found this the best way to create grid in Arc. The link to it is http://arcmapbook.googlepages.com/
Good Luck

Regards,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Sydney, Australia
Cheers,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Iceland

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

While the Mapbook extension is great if you are not having to create multiple maps the the NPS Grid Tools extension is a good tool to create map grids. It will attribute the column/rows with various options and can create grids based on a set size or a set number over the page area.

http://nps-grid-tool...e.informer.com/
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

georgew

georgew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi George,

Hi George,

Take a look at the Mapbook which is a toolbox add-on in Arc. You can create grids for area but also along objects. It can then generate layouts for each grid where you can assign header, date etc in the layout. I found this the best way to create grid in Arc. The link to it is http://arcmapbook.googlepages.com/
Good Luck

Regards,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Sydney, Australia

Thank you Sigurjon and all others who offered suggestions. It took me a while to learn all the alternative ways of doing this but have now reached the following conclusions. Note that I am a beginner so please take them with a grain of salt.

There are three stages to the solution to this problem:

1) create the grid

2) use the grid to create tiles of the original map

3) create shapefiles out of the tiles.

While there are many ways of creating a grid, not all appear to be compatible with ArcInfo 9.3 (which is what I have access to) and not all can be used for steps 2 and 3.

I have reached the conclusion that, in spite of my earlier reluctance to use it, MapBook is the easiest way to create the grid and to create the tiles.

The remaining problem is now Step 3, ie how to create the shapefiles, one for each tile. So far I have not been able to find a solution, not even a manual one. Using the Model Builder and batch processing, or a script, might do it, I would need some help though to get there. Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here will be most welcome.

I consider myself lucky that I got thus far with your help.!

George

sjonni11

sjonni11

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Australia

Hi George,

ET Geo Wizard will help you with that. just go on http://www.ian-ko.com/ to download. After you have installed it go to Geoproc and there you can Split by attributes (e.g. GridID). Just create a folder where you want the shp's to go. Good luck mate.

Regards,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Sydney, Australia

georgew

georgew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi George,

ET Geo Wizard will help you with that. just go on http://www.ian-ko.com/ to download. After you have installed it go to Geoproc and there you can Split by attributes (e.g. GridID). Just create a folder where you want the shp's to go. Good luck mate.

Regards,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Sydney, Australia

Thank you Sigurjon but unfortunately it didn't work for me. After waiting for several minutes on a reasonably small 20x20 test map and grid the system stopped responding. Not a single shapefile had been created. Perhaps this feature does not work in demo mode.
Regards
George

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Is this a one-time thing? In that case, I'd be more than happy to tile it in FME for you.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sjonni11

sjonni11

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Australia

Hi George,

Regards,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Sydney, Australia

Thank you Sigurjon but unfortunately it didn't work for me. After waiting for several minutes on a reasonably small 20x20 test map and grid the system stopped responding. Not a single shapefile had been created. Perhaps this feature does not work in demo mode.
Regards
George

Hi George,

That is what I thought would happen too, so I tried it with my grid which had 328 polygons and that worked for me. Did you create a new folder before you did your analysis? The reason why I ask is because I first tried to put the shp´s in a geodatabase but it didnt work so I tried adding it to a new folder. But maybe it is the amount of polygons. How many grids (polygons) do you have?
But yeah FME is a great tool for this...wish I had it:)

Regards,
Sigurjon Runarsson
Sydney, Australia
Cheers,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Iceland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->