7 replies to this topic

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I'm wondering if there is a better way to generate arrowheads at the end of a line, or what the best way is, in ArcMap other than applying the default symbol/label style "arrow at end".

My problem is that when I change the line thickness, the corresponding arrowhead doesn't scale right. Also whenever I then rotate, or thicken the line-arrowhead combination I get weird results, like below. It might be hard to see, but the squared end of the line shows through the tip of the arrowhead with any line thickness greater than the default of .40 points. Yuck.

Attached File  ARROW.jpg   28.51KB   75 downloads

Thanks for any advice.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

My suggestion would be to use the Add Arrowhead effect in Illustrator (Effect-->Stylize-->Add Arrowheads), but a quick solution to try in ArcGIS would be to make sure the Properties of the line are such that the Line Caps are set to "Butt" and not "Square."

If that doesn't work, start clicking :) and adjust the Symbol Properties of the Arrowhead in question so the X-Offset is +1 or more.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

My suggestion would be to use the Add Arrowhead effect in Illustrator (Effect-->Stylize-->Add Arrowheads), but a quick solution to try in ArcGIS would be to make sure the Properties of the line are such that the Line Caps are set to "Butt" and not "Square."

If that doesn't work, start clicking :) and adjust the Symbol Properties of the Arrowhead in question so the X-Offset is +1 or more.

Weird things happen when I mess with the arrowhead axes, and I just hate clicking 16 check boxes just to shift the arrowhead two points along one axis :wacko:, etc .

If I were to design a whole series of arrows to use on my maps, whether with AI or Inkscape, what should the format be so that I can easily drop them in as map elements in GIS? Also, is it possible to store them as an arrow library/set of symbols somewhere within ArcMap?

Thanks for your help.

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

I like using EMFs in ArcGIS. As they're a vector format, they export nicely to AI.

I imagine you could probably stick a set of arrows into the style manager... though I've never done that. I'd be interested in hearing how you make out with that, since I'm pretty much over all of ESRI's default arrows.

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

You could use cartographic representations for the arrows. It's a bit of a work around but at the arrows have pointy ends!
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

dbaston

dbaston

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

If you don't have to create too many of them, you can use a north arrow (one that doesn't have an "N"), convert to graphics, and rotate/position as needed.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to generate arrowheads at the end of a line, or what the best way is, in ArcMap other than applying the default symbol/label style "arrow at end".

My problem is that when I change the line thickness, the corresponding arrowhead doesn't scale right. Also whenever I then rotate, or thicken the line-arrowhead combination I get weird results, like below. It might be hard to see, but the squared end of the line shows through the tip of the arrowhead with any line thickness greater than the default of .40 points. Yuck.

Thanks for any advice.

gozoman

gozoman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Netherlands

The solution is to use a different symbol for arrowheads, namely the Character Marker Symbol called ESRI Arrowhead. The x-offset will follow the direction of the line instead of the coordinate system!

The steps to take:
1. Click in the Symbol Selector on the Properties button;
2. Click in the Symbol Properties Editor on the tab Line Properties;
3. Click on the Properties button;
4. Click in Line Decoration Editor on the Symbol button;
5. Click in Symbol Selector on the Properties button;
6. Choose in the Symbol Property Editor the Character Marker Symbol;
7. Choose the font ESRI Arrowhead;
8. Select one of the arrowheads and set size, color and (X)offset. By checking the preview the arrowhead can be placed accurately relative to the endpoint of the line.
B)

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks for any advice.

When we implemented cartographic representations there were long discussions about the pros and cons of different ways of positioning arrows on lines, so it might be work trying one of the 'end of line' marker styles in the carto rep rules.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->