Title: GIS Cartographer
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posted: February 25, 2009
Resumes From: Local area, inclusive of Wisconsin
The GIS Cartographer is an entry-level to mid-level position. The successful applicant will report to the GIS Project Manager and the Director of Geospatial Data Production division. Primary duties will include: designing maps and map layouts, GIS data management with emphasis on cartographic production from various sources, performing and documenting quality control/assurance procedures, and data conversion and modification within the GIS production environment.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Designing maps and map layouts.
- Researching, selecting and evaluating map source data for use in the preparation or revision of maps and charts to various scales.
- Capturing, maintaining and outputting digital geographic data and metadata.
- Managing operation of GIS equipment, software, data, and products.
- Taking responsibility in quality control for source, intermediate and output data. Documenting QC results.
- Project management (able to accept a project independently and in a team work environment, design methodology to complete project, and produce final product(s)).
- Related duties assigned by the Department Head and GIS Project Manager
Qualifications and Skills:
o Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in GIS, Geography or a related field.
o Fundamental knowledge and skills in digital cartography.
o One to five years (or more) of experience in GIS and digital cartography. Strong knowledge in ArcInfo, Spatial Analyst, and geodatabases is required. Knowledge in ESRI PLTS software is preferred.
o Excellent oral and written communication skills
o Ability to complete short-term projects with tight deadlines
o Desire to learn new skills related to GIS development including computer hardware, software, extensions.
o Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees.
Send resume to:
email@example.com (.doc or .pdf formats are acceptable)
Competitive applicants may be asked to submit additional information.