6 replies to this topic

Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Greetings,

This is my first post. I am happy to have been referred to this online community via the Society for Conservation GIS listserv.

I am looking for feeback on an Atlas I am working on. I am comparing forest types and wildlife habitat values under pre-logging and post-logging conditions. I have 12 study areas that are comprised of watershed groups that range in size from 4,000 to 50,000 hectares. The 12 study areas are scattered across the Southeast Alaska Region.

I have a working example that I would appreciate your feedback on. It is modeled after a .jpg I saw of a page in the Atlas of Oregon. I am still researching how to get the animation slider to work in a .pdf. If you have knowledge of animation of maps I would greatly appreciate that. I would appreciate any other input you would have on this draft page: http://www.seawead.o...las_example.pdf

I would appreciate any examples that you can turn me on to. Here is the list that has come in from the SCGIS listserv so far:

http://geography.uor...cts/atlasCD.htm
http://www.na.unep.n...eople/index.php
http://biogeo.nos.no...cd/htm/maps.htm
http://www.inforain.org/mapsatwork

Nice to meet you all.

Bob

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Bob,

For animating maps, you'll want to check out Flash. There's a couple of people here who have done some work with that and it's pretty versatile. I think there's some samples further down in the map gallery.

As for the maps you currently have:
- Any chance of making the colors of logged BT/MT correspond more logically to the BT/MT colors?
- Acrobat on my laptop moaned about not being able to find a font and that it was going to use Helvetica instead.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Bob,

If you don't have it yet I highly recommend getting a copy of The Atlas of Oregon. It is a real cartographic treasure and will serve you as a reference to mapping styles and methods for your entire career. IMO it currently sets the standard for print mapping Atlases, both in terms of content quality and also quality.

I would also recommend checking out the Green Info Website, they make very nice conservation oriented maps and may provide you with some ideas.

mg

Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments Hans. Have any color suggestions?

Thanks for the links mg. I ordered the Atlas of Oregon yesterday. I was able to get a paperback version of the book for 25 bucks from UofO. I ordered the CD from Amazon because UofO was out. It could be that Amazon does not have them either because they are saying 4-6 week deliver time. Might be a hard thing to come by.

bob

Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

I have update the mock-up page to deal with some of the tackiness. I am about to give up on the slider thing because the only solution I can find is custom javascripting of the .pdf and I do not really want to go there.

Acrobat may continue to moan about fonts because I am uploading low resolution versions without embedded fonts. The final will have the fonts embedded.

Same link as before.

Bob

bchubb

bchubb

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Painting
  • Canada

Hi Bob,

All your photos are making me somewhat envious........ I'm ready to throw in the towel and head for the coast! :D

A minor suggestion on colors in the latest pdf you linked to (I didn't look at the earlier one). Colors with the similar value (lightness/darkness) are sometimes less distingushable, so I would think it important to contrast value as well as color. (eg the green perhaps slightly darker and the greys much lighter) Perhaps someone else will have thoughts on this. For instance, in the sample you posted, I'd prefer more contrast between "MT" (light green) and the background "other cover types" (light grey).

BTW, be sure to check out Cynthia Brewer's site if you haven't already. I think it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forums. ColorBrewer

There's also a Module on color theory for cartography here Color for cartography Modules

Cheers,
Bryan

bryanchubb.ca
My paintings (...and no, my Avatar is Vera by Fredrick Varley)

Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the input Bryan. I have uploaded another version that includes 3 colorschemes. I have done my best to respond to the info on the color brewer website. What a great link!

At this point the color thing has pretty much scrambled my brain and it is hard for me to judge. What pleases my eye is not always what pleases the masses. My partner and I have decided to make these maps color blind friendly so that limited my choices quite a bit. Given that, and our desire to use greens for the standing forest types, the options are pretty much pink or purple. Right now the purple version is ahead in the poles.

The next big challenge will be integrating the habitat suitabiliy maps. Their data should probably use a sequential scheme. I am trying to decide if I should use unique schemes for each species... I want to but it seems that the more colors I introduce the more difficult it is to find balance.

Before this happens though I need to generate a bunch of new grids. I am just learning to do this so wish me luck.

Again, I greatly appreciate your help.

Oh, the link is still the same.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->