7 replies to this topic

Except

Except

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello everyone!

I'm an architect and city planner, and I have become increasingly interested in making my own geographic maps from raw data, which brings me here. In my daily life I run the company Except (www.except.nl), which is a think-tank for sustainable development, an architecture and urban design office, and visualization outfit. Lots of stuff.

I'd like to start with making a world map. I have some editable illustrator maps but that's really insufficient. What direction should you recommend for someone like me? We have ArcGIS, but that's a pretty convoluted way to go about things... any suggestions?

Cheers,
Tom

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm an architect and city planner, and I have become increasingly interested in making my own geographic maps from raw data, which brings me here. In my daily life I run the company Except (www.except.nl), which is a think-tank for sustainable development, an architecture and urban design office, and visualization outfit. Lots of stuff.

I'd like to start with making a world map. I have some editable illustrator maps but that's really insufficient. What direction should you recommend for someone like me? We have ArcGIS, but that's a pretty convoluted way to go about things... any suggestions?

Hi Tom, and welcome to Cartotalk.

It kinda depends what you want to use your world map for, and how easy it should be to maintain, but setting up a good base in ArcGIS would be a good first step. Other than that, it kinda depends on what software you have and are comfortable with.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • United States

Lots of new folks today! :D

Welcome and good luck! :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Cartotalk forum!

One process that might work for you would be to use the ESRI Data that came with your ArcGIS install (the Media Kit) and create a basic layout in ArcGIS. Then (depending on your needs) export those layers to Illustrator for finishing.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Hi Tom,

I second the opinion to use your ArcGIS data that came with the software as a basemap. Then add any other data relevant to your company on top of it, if you have any. Or think about data that might be relevant and go looking for it (warning: this can easily get out of hand time-wise!) :)

Except

Except

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Netherlands

Hi all,

Thank you for the useful replies.

I'm mostly a visually oriented person but know my way around pretty much any graphics software I get my hands on, so new programs are not that hard to learn. We have the Adobe CS suite, various 3D programs, MapInfo, ArcGIS and so on, and we were kind of curious about that mapping program that is a plugin for Illustrator.

We're not making maps for our company in specific. We're making fun informative and controversial maps to share and create awareness for certain things. No revenue, so a cost effective solution is a piority.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Tom, welcome!

ArcGIS would be ideal since you have it. There are various world map templates/bookmarks for on-the-fly world map designs, or select a projection from the menu to get the desire effect.
All along, think about the outcome and the transition from ArcMap to Illustrator, since this is where you will do most of the work.

Keep us posted (i.e. MapGallery) B)

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Welcome to the useful talk town..

Hello everyone!

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->