• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Soocom1

Soocom1

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Drafting, with experiance in combining in Geodatabases, map design general spatial refrance. Hunting, fishing, photography and riding the Super Glide to rallies.
  • United States

Ok.. simple ESRI question that I lost and confused myself on.

I am doing voter registration maps for some local folks. I have the local voter precinct shape file and data table. A total of 37 polygons, (37 rows) and approx. 13 columns of data.

I have the voter registration information with all the voters on it. This database (both in Excel and Access format [xls and mdb]) has over 34,000 voters (rows) in it.

I need to link the data in the polygons to the voter roll info. But, again the polygon has 37 rows, the voter rolls has over 34,000 rows. How do link the two tables where I can extract total voter info, and show tables, charts etc. from the voter rolls?

I have done a join, but I get only 37 rows of voter information. How do I display the remaining 33,963 rows of info?
When doing a relate, all I get is a grayed out link that wont open anything...

What do I need to do here?

Thanks.
Architects design things,
Engineers build things,
and Cartographers tell them where to go.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

This is a one to many relationship were you would use relate, where you would select Precinct 10 and all records in your voter table will be selected.
Check out the help files associated with relate.

Soocom1

Soocom1

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Drafting, with experiance in combining in Geodatabases, map design general spatial refrance. Hunting, fishing, photography and riding the Super Glide to rallies.
  • United States

Arcmap 9.3
Architects design things,
Engineers build things,
and Cartographers tell them where to go.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Why don't you perform a spatial join, i have used it and its works fine.

Ok.. simple ESRI question that I lost and confused myself on.

I am doing voter registration maps for some local folks. I have the local voter precinct shape file and data table. A total of 37 polygons, (37 rows) and approx. 13 columns of data.

I have the voter registration information with all the voters on it. This database (both in Excel and Access format [xls and mdb]) has over 34,000 voters (rows) in it.

I need to link the data in the polygons to the voter roll info. But, again the polygon has 37 rows, the voter rolls has over 34,000 rows. How do link the two tables where I can extract total voter info, and show tables, charts etc. from the voter rolls?

I have done a join, but I get only 37 rows of voter information. How do I display the remaining 33,963 rows of info?
When doing a relate, all I get is a grayed out link that wont open anything...

What do I need to do here?

Thanks.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

pfyfield

pfyfield

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • United States

The best approach I have used is to do a summary table on your voter tables. It's either summarize or frequency, can't remember at the moment. Summarize on the precinct. You will end up with a single row for each precinct and the number of voters in each. Then a join would be valid. You will lose a lot of other info in the tables. It's like a non-spatial dissolve.

Joining before summarizing will join the first record found to the precinct table. Not very useful.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

When I did this same task a few years ago, I found that a join was a pain because it qualified all my field names, making it difficult to do any other work. Instead, just use the Identity tool to assign the precinct IDs to your voter points. You'll have the information readily available with very little extra cost.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->