4 replies to this topic

Darren Rattai

Darren Rattai

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Canada

Hey all,

I am currently attempting to add hyperlinks to a PDF map. I am producing the maps with ArcGIS 9.3 and then exporting to PDF. I would like the user to be able to click on a feature on the map and bring up an accompanying file. I know this is possible becase I have seen maps with this functionality, but have no idea how to do it.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,
Darren

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

If you have Acrobat Pro this is relatively easy using the Link tool under Tools>Advanced Editing
Selecting that tool will allow you to marquee an area that will become your active link. In the resulting Dialog box you will want to select Invisible Rectangle, Highlight style is up to you but I usually use invert, In Link Action make your selection depending on where you want to go, and in the next box you will give your destination.
Down side of this solution is that your link areas are limited to rectangles.
Rick Dey

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

If you have AcrobatPro you can take the following steps:
1 Go to where you want to create a link from in the document.
2 Choose Tools > Advanced Editing > Link Tool, or select the Link tool on the Advanced Editing toolbar. The pointer becomes a cross hair (+), and any existing links in the document, including invisible links, are temporarily visible.
3 Drag to create a rectangle (marquee). This is the area in which the link is active.
4 In the Create Link dialog box, choose the settings you want for the link appearance.

I am not 100% that hyperlinks created on the ESRI side export over to PDF's - but you can try. Here is a link to info on creating hyperlinks within ArcGIS.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Hey all,

I am currently attempting to add hyperlinks to a PDF map. I am producing the maps with ArcGIS 9.3 and then exporting to PDF. I would like the user to be able to click on a feature on the map and bring up an accompanying file. I know this is possible becase I have seen maps with this functionality, but have no idea how to do it.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,
Darren

I've created lots of links in PDFs and the methods posted above work great. My advice is to create fairly large hot-spots (an inch square or more) that extend over the targeted feature.
If your areas are too small they can be hard to activate and even more difficult for someone to find.
And if you're looking to add even more functionality, don't forget that you can export PDF layers.

Darren Rattai

Darren Rattai

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the help.

I knew it must have been a very simple endeavour. As for the layers, you can now access the attributes as well as turn the layers on and off. Makes it have much more functionality than a simple PDF.
There are issues though, if there are too many layers and attributes, they will not show. Just like everything in this industry, I'm sure it is a work in progress though.

Cheers,
Darren Rattai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->