6 replies to this topic

SandeeHarvey

SandeeHarvey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello, I am interested in knowing how the map of Africa and its fill patterns were created in the following link at this site. Was Adobe Illustrator used to create this map???

http://www.usaid.gov...upport/afr.html

For my task I have to color code and mark each territory (bounded region) identified on a World map according to three categories. I will have about 2-3 classes for each category. I would like to fit all three categories and subsequent classifications on one map.

My question is, does anyone know how to create the “fill in patterns” and diagonal “hatch pattern” lines in the map linked above. Could this be accomplished in Adobe Illustrator? Could you give me some basic instructions on how I could incorporate distinguishing patterns (fill in patterns) and features in a map?

This is what I am mainly having trouble with:
How do I adjust the size of preset pattern in Illustrator? For example a dot pattern or a hatch pattern (make it bigger or smaller or more dots). When in fill the country shape on the map with a pattern, sometimes the fill is too big and the hatch pattern lines are too thick. Is there a way to adjust the size of the pattern?

Also, is there a way to make a pattern transparent?

Please contact me as soon as possible. I would greatly appreciate your assistance with this matter. Thank you.

-Sandee

PS: I am using the SVG Blank World Map found here:
http://commons.wikim...kMap-World6.svg

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Sandee,

There are a few sets of illustrator fill patterns available in PDF format that you can download and use. Here is one from Golden Software (4.1mb).

There are also a few tutorials online like this one, and this one. Or you can follow http://livedocs.adob...A4589B19EE.html from Adobe's help center.

It's a little frustrating when you initially run into this problem b/c you expect Illustrator to ship with tons of all the right patterns - but with perseverance you should be able to end-up with something satisfactory.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

jessz

jessz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United States

Hi Sandee,

This type of map is pretty easy for Illustrator. I assume you're using a fairly recent version (CS or later), so here's how to do it:

1. Fill each country with either a solid color or a fill pattern. To get the default line patterns, go to the Swatches palette, click on the flyout menu (in the upper right corner of the palette), choose Open Swatch Library > Patterns > Basic Graphics > Basic Graphics Lines. Pick a pattern with the desired spacing between the lines; don't worry about the thickness of the lines at this point (we'll change that later).

2. Next you want to edit the pattern. Drag the pattern swatch from the palette onto a blank area of your page. This will leave the pattern in a square, with 2 small lines next to it. To change the colors of the lines, select them with the direct selection tool (hollow arrow) and change the color. When you're done, get the regular selection tool (solid arrow), hold down the option ket (alt key for PCs) and drag the big swatch into the regular swatches palette. You can now apply this swatch to your map countries.

3. To change the size of the pattern: Select the shape (country) with the regular selection tool and press the S key. Option (Alt)-click on the shape to bring up the Scale dialog. Specify a scale percentage in the top box, and then make sure that only the Patterns box is checked. Click OK, and only the pattern should have scaled, leaving the shape untouched.

4. You can rotate the pattern lines the same way. Select the shape and press R. Option (Alt)-click to bring up the Rotate box. Specify an angle (45 works well), and then make sure only the Patterns box is checked. Click OK.

I hope that makes sense . . . If you have any other questions, you can contact me directly at email

Hello, I am interested in knowing how the map of Africa and its fill patterns were created in the following link at this site. Was Adobe Illustrator used to create this map???

http://www.usaid.gov...upport/afr.html

For my task I have to color code and mark each territory (bounded region) identified on a World map according to three categories. I will have about 2-3 classes for each category. I would like to fit all three categories and subsequent classifications on one map.

My question is, does anyone know how to create the “fill in patterns” and diagonal “hatch pattern” lines in the map linked above. Could this be accomplished in Adobe Illustrator? Could you give me some basic instructions on how I could incorporate distinguishing patterns (fill in patterns) and features in a map?

This is what I am mainly having trouble with:
How do I adjust the size of preset pattern in Illustrator? For example a dot pattern or a hatch pattern (make it bigger or smaller or more dots). When in fill the country shape on the map with a pattern, sometimes the fill is too big and the hatch pattern lines are too thick. Is there a way to adjust the size of the pattern?

Also, is there a way to make a pattern transparent?

Please contact me as soon as possible. I would greatly appreciate your assistance with this matter. Thank you.

-Sandee

PS: I am using the SVG Blank World Map found here:
http://commons.wikim...kMap-World6.svg

SandeeHarvey

SandeeHarvey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thank you everyone for your help. I am still open further suggestions.

Thank you very much.

SandeeHarvey

SandeeHarvey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks for all your help.

I have the latest version of Adobe Illustrator.

As you know I am working on a World Map and some of the countries represent more than one category. Is there a way to easily combine a pattern from the “basic graphic lines” category with a pattern from the “basic graphic dots” category and add a fill color? I combination of 3 patterns (map categories).

Attached is an example that I created in Microsoft publisher.

Please get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your help.

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I usually create a stipple pattern in something like Photoshop (Noise), make that a 1-bit TIFF, and Paste Inside the polygon. (I use FreeHand, but presumably Illustrator has a similar command). I make the TIFF transparent in FreeHand so background color will show through. Similarly, you can create diagonal lines of whatever color, weight, and orientation you want, and Paste Inside the polygon or a clone of the polygon.

Posted Image
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

wick

wick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

Is there a way to easily combine a pattern from the “basic graphic lines” category with a pattern from the “basic graphic dots” category and add a fill color? I combination of 3 patterns (map categories).

Try using the appearance palette to add multiple fills to your polygon. You can make the line pattern on top of the dot pattern on top of a solid red fill.
Jesse Wickizer
Maps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->