• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hi folks I have to make a design decision with a project showing graduated symbols. Now I have to show graduated symbols for reseller locations & another set of graduated points for Trainer locations on a single map. So one cartographer has already mentioned something that maybe I should offset one feature from the other, however that is one opinion; if perhaps other members of this site have another suggestion or an example to approach the problem that would be appreciated.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Hasdrubal,

Are both these data on the same point throughout the map?

Is there room enough to utilize a diptych?

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Many of the locations have both data sets, there are differences in the numbers in some but others that have similar figures. So here is the map so far, it's on an 11 by 8.5 landscape letter size page as per client request, but please ignore the layout since this is an unfinished map.

World Map

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I really dislike creating thematic maps on a global scale. More power to ya. That is difficult to get so much information on one map, especially when the data call for two.

Attached is a map that I had to make for an article where the client wanted one map, but once he saw the diptych and understood its communication value. You may not have that option though.

Another thought after looking at your map is that you have plenty of room to place an inset of the lower 48. You have a lot of room in the oceans and even over continents such as South America.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hazdrubal,
If I understand you correctly, I would use two different symbols to illustrate the two unique types of locations (i.e circles for trainers and maybe hexagons for resellers). Where points overlap you can move the points apart, slightly.

I also agree with Kru, at that scale you may want to consider another approach. A data table might be useful as well.

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Is there any way to combine the data into one variable? Such as # trainers normalized by resellers or # of resellers normalized by trainers? If not I'd be really tempted to use two maps centered on N. America (as previous example) with just a bit off to the side showing the other locations since it didn't seem like there were that many in other places. The one on top shows trainers, one on bottom shows resellers. Something like that. Another option is to use two symbols inside each other like triangles inside circles, and vice versa depending on variable value.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

James, I always like to take a client-directed approach to situations like this. You need to find out from the client who will be viewing this, in what media, and under what circumstances. For example, if this will be part of a PowerPoint presentation, and the slide will only be flashed for 10 seconds, then you'll want boldly differentiated symbols that communicate very quickly and easily. If, on the other hand, the map will be an illustration in a detailed report, with two pages of analysis discussing the data shown on the map, then something like Gretchen's suggestion may work best.

In other words, it really does depend on what is being communicated, to whom, in what context, and for what purpose. I think if you can find that out the design options will narrow very nicely. B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Canada

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, fortunately a few minutes ago the client sent an e-mail & changed the specifications, so now instead of a map of the world, I will focus on more regional aspirations. THANK-YOU lord. ;)

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Just a thought but how about using a symbol combining one or more means of graphic expression, each devoted to show a different viariable?
It's not that difficult to combine diagrams with ordinary symbols and also choropleth style colour scales. Therefore it's relatively easy to mix quantitative and qualitative characteristics and show quite a few of them in one symbol. It's not always necessary to use separate symbols I believe.

For the sake of simplifying it a bit lets just imagine that a diagram size corresponds to the amount of resellers while its fill corresponds to the amount of trainers. Such symbol would not only show the values but also would give the idea of the relation between them - a big circle - lots of resellers but it's pale so not too many places to get trained...

Anyway here is a little example I put together a sec ago so forgive me its raw appearance:
Attached File  Graphic1.png   34.05KB   132 downloads

and here is another one I created a couple of years ago:
http://www.cartotalk...t...post&id=761

Hope this helps :-)
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->