3 replies to this topic

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

I realise this is fairly vague but does anyone know if it is possible to convert the 7CB file format into something GIS compatible? Maybe into s-57? I am using these files as navigation charts in a separate program but want to be able to have the same charts displayable in GIS.

I am used to using the S-57 format but these charts are nicer ;)

Maybe someone knows something?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I realise this is fairly vague but does anyone know if it is possible to convert the 7CB file format into something GIS compatible? Maybe into s-57? I am using these files as navigation charts in a separate program but want to be able to have the same charts displayable in GIS.

I am used to using the S-57 format but these charts are nicer ;)

Maybe someone knows something?

Have you checked with 7Cs directly? I know for certain they can supply files in S-57 format.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Well I will ask them, yes. I guess I was wondering if there was a way to view the files I already have from them. You see I have used S-57 files from the Rijkswaterstaat. Essentially the same information is present and I think they are just as informative. However they do not cover the whole North sea area I do not think (the ones from RWS).

By the way Hans, I went to a very nice conference the other day in Den Haag on GIS voor defensie en veiligheid. It was at the KIVI NIRIA gebouw. It was really quite good and very busy indeed. I hope they will do another on GIS. I think they should do one on GIS and the Maritime industry because then I will like to also present :).

I should have posted a link to it before but I didn't really think of that. Next time I will.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Well I will ask them, yes. I guess I was wondering if there was a way to view the files I already have from them. You see I have used S-57 files from the Rijkswaterstaat. Essentially the same information is present and I think they are just as informative. However they do not cover the whole North sea area I do not think (the ones from RWS).

Have you tried the Hydrografische Dienst (the navy)? I've used some of their data in the past, although that was in NTX format (1800-series hydrographic maps)

By the way Hans, I went to a very nice conference the other day in Den Haag on GIS voor defensie en veiligheid. It was at the KIVI NIRIA gebouw. It was really quite good and very busy indeed. I hope they will do another on GIS. I think they should do one on GIS and the Maritime industry because then I will like to also present :).

I should have posted a link to it before but I didn't really think of that. Next time I will.

Darn, sounds like something I should have been at... (I should attend more geo-events over here...)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->